DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, December 12, 2010

More Weather and Food

Today we are having a snow storm. It has been snowing all day and it will snow tomorrow also. By the time it is over we may have 30 cm of snow (1 foot). There is a good wind so there will also be come drifting.

I like these days. It is interesting to watch the weather. It is nice to not have to go anywhere. I keep busy keeping the wood stove going at a level to handle the cold. In an old farm house windy cold weather works it's way through the house. Hence my wearing my tuque and a heavy sweater in the house.

This cold and snowy weather is a good time to do some food preparation in the kitchen, near the wood stove. In the last few days I have made some things. (see below) Today, I am making pickled carrot sticks.


















I put on Heidi's sweater to take her out in the weather. It is not on very well Gram (the creator of the sweater) I will do better next time.


















This is Red Root Relish (beets, cabbage and onion)




















This is cinnamon biscotti to dip into my coffee.



















Peanut Butter Cookies

11 Comments:

At 5:43 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

There you are! It looks like you've been very busy. It all looks good, wish I had one (or 10) of those biscotti to go with my coffee. Stay warm.

 
At 8:11 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Oh, I want to see you in your tuque.
;-)
Anyway, do keep warm. I too love such weather, but we don't have it here. Nor do we have the challenge of an older farm house that is hard to keep warm.
The goodies look wonderful.

 
At 8:51 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We have missed the snow and had to settle for rain -- some of it freezing. Snow would have been nice. Stay warm.

 
At 10:22 p.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Good to hear you are handling everything well. Care to share that biscotti recipe. I actually tried it several weeks ago as we worked on the dog's fence. So good, although made commercially. The peanut butter cookies look lucious too.

I love the way Heidi wears her sweater. A very nice garment. Tell Gran I am admiring of her talent. Can you give us a close- up shot of it?

I can almost smell your nice wood fire. I have a great olfactory imagination.

 
At 11:16 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

I never tried pickled carrot sticks, but it doesn't sound too bad! I like pickled corn, pickled okra, and pickled beets.

Your weather is like ours today. Snow, cold, and very windy, but we'll not have anywhere near a foot of snow! Maybe a few inches is all.

The food looks great! I can tell you are a good cook!!

Keep warm!

 
At 9:25 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Never heard of pickled carrot sticks... might be good!
It is 40 degrees and going down. It is also snowing lightly, but at, whoops, 39 degrees, it is melting fast. It was 57 yesterday. Headed for the teens. Low 50s is norm for this time of year. Oh well.
I miss the old wood stove, really do. And I used to love to cook on it - but never did well cooking in the oven.

 
At 10:44 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

Well, we really got hit this time didn't we! We can't get out until the plough comes and it's almost 11.00am and nothing yet.

Heidi looks as if she's desperate to get back inside!! We have to push ours out in this weather!!

I have only heard of pickled carrots on Indian food menus and they are very good!! You'll have to share your recipe!

 
At 11:10 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Heidi looks very chic ! I don't like this cold weather. It's OK when the sun is shining, but not when it's grey and it snows ! We had quiet a lot here too, nothing compared to your quantities, but for Belgium it was a lot !

 
At 12:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi looks great in her sweater. And your work in the kitchen looks pretty tempting, too.

 
At 12:44 p.m., Blogger J C said...

I will take the other 10 biscotti that Loretta left (for me). Wow Philip, and you bake too!!!

 
At 12:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iam so jealous, I wish I could get snowed in with plenty of heat and food.
NO snow here. Just lots of fog. Cold Fog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home