DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, November 04, 2010

The End : A Mile High in Maine

My brother and his wife finally posted some pictures of the end of their trek of the Appalachian Trail. The terminus is on top of Mount Katahdin, a mile above the central Maine Woods. Their trek ended October 5th after beginning March 17 at Springer Mountain, Georgia.

(click on photo to enlarge)

















This is the required photo with the iconic sign.


















This was the required kiss for the "Canadian Geese"


















A Maine woodland scene along the trail.




Autumn in Maine. Maine is very much like my part of Ontario, sans mountains.
The scenes of the forest and mountain recalled for me reading Henry David Thoreau's adventures into the Maine Wood. He visited Mount Katahdin in mid 19th Century. Here you can read some of his observations.

To view more photos of the last postings of their trek go here and move forward or click of the last photo and back up.

A note from my brother indicates they are recovering physically and psychologically from the end of their adventure. There was even a suggestion of another hiking adventure next year!

Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

At 2:09 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

An amazing couple and the pictures are glorious. I can't imagine how they will top this !

 
At 2:17 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Wow--you know they're hooked if they are talking of more hiking AFTER finishing the Appalachian Trail hike.

 
At 6:04 p.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Stunning! Richard, Carol, the scenery, already anticipating a future hike. I surely was impressed over the past six months by it all. The trail in Canada you mentioned to me earlier sounds worthy of serious consideration. I checked out the links to it. 500 miles, was it?

 
At 9:44 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

I am certainly impressed with what they did. And glad to hear and recovering and interested in doing more hiking. What an adventure!

 
At 8:46 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Incredible. But what the heck is he wearing in that photo. Shorts + leotard?

 
At 12:36 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite an accomplishement! Thanks for sharing the pix.

 
At 8:19 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

What a wonderful achievement!! I have a hard enough time just getting out of my comfy chair, seeing what they have done quite exhausts me!!!!

Will you join them on one of their hikes?

 
At 2:52 p.m., Blogger possum said...

Bravo! Bravo!
Always wanted my picture taken at that sign... now they'd have to drop me in from a helicopter! Even then I am not sure I could handle it! LOL! Oh well, maybe next life time!
But can he split wood as good as you can, Philip?

 
At 5:34 p.m., Blogger Gattina said...

I am far to lazy to do that, lol !

 
At 9:40 a.m., Blogger J C said...

I am envious. Amazed. Curious. Glad for them. Mostly envious. What a hike.

 
At 9:56 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

I especially liked the photo of them kissing. It's nice to see that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home