DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Recent Reading

I have been recently re-reading this cherished book, given to me years ago by a friend who shared my interest in this kind of literature.






















I guess it is an occupational hazard: I enjoy reading inspirational literature. As a cleric I have even written some when just the right one could not be found for a special occasion.

This passed weekend I travelled to Mississauga, 300 miles south, on the bus and two day later, return back on the train. An inspirational book is a good travel companion as you are alone with your thoughts, read short passages and occasionally look out at the passing natural scene. This book with readings on Nature and our relationship is always a pleasure to read and reflect on.

One early reading that caught my fancy is one that makes reference to "river" and "peebles" which struck my fancy as these related to my blog's title as a metaphor.

Clouds are flowing in the river, waves are flying in the sky.
Life is laughing in a pebble. Does a pebblle every die?

Flowers grow out of the garbage, such a miracle to see.
What seems dead and what seems dying makes for butterflies to be.

Life is laughing in a pebble, flowers bathe in morning dew.
Dust is dancing in my footsteps and I wonder who is who.

Clouds are flowing in the river, clouds are drifting in my tea,
On a never-ending jouney, what a miracle!

Eveline Beumkes


In the early morning hour the bus passed through Barrie, Ontario. There was new snow on the ground and clinging to the trees. With just enough light to read by I opened the book, by chance, at this poem.

Praise wet snow
falling early.
Praise the shadow
my neighbor's chimney casts on the tile roof
even this gray October day that should, they say,
have been golden.
Praise
the invisible sun burning beyond
the white cold sky, giving us
light and the chimney's shadow.
Praise
god or the godds, the unknown,
that which imaginedus, which stays
our hand,
our murderous hand,
and gives us
still,
in the shadow of death,
our daily life,
the dream still
of goodwill, of peace on earth.
Praise
flow and change, night and
the pulse of day.

Denise Levertov


It is always a delight when a poem or inspirational prose passage strikes a response within you. This is why I enjoy reading inspirational writings from all cultures and religions.

6 Comments:

At 6:17 p.m., Blogger Loner said...

We lived in Arizona for awhile among the Navajo. The elders believed that anything worth knowing was borne out in nature for us to watch- like the snow and the pebbles. These poems are lovely, I may put the book on my Amazon list as well- thanks for sharing!

 
At 9:23 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Very timely and appropriate poems for you.

 
At 8:35 a.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Ah, Philip, a man after my own heart.
There is NO occasion for which poetry is NOT the appropriate response.
Love the Levertov poem especially.

 
At 8:55 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Many times old favorite books are the best. I love to open one and renew the "acquaintance".

 
At 2:42 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great collection, Philip. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I accidentally deleted my joomla files from server? How to install it and have it since it
was?

My web site: Transvaginal mesh lawsuit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home