DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, November 01, 2010

Making Progress, Taking a Break


I have managed to transform the logs we skidded out into about 3 cords of wood ( 9 face cords), cut, split and piled. It is a sunny day so I rolled back the tarp to get some sunshine to help cure the wood. We have been enjoying some nice weather hovering around 0 C, a little snow and some lovely sunny days like today.

I will be ejoying a little rest until we skid out some more wood, hopefully on the weekend. I am about half way to what I would like to have on hand for wood for the Winter. I at least need to retieve the trees I have already cut down in the bush. During a recent high wind I could hear some trees blowing down in the bush. I may have to salvage them as well. You can never have too much firewood!


















I am very bad at piling wood. It is an art form around here which I have never mastered. A secondary reason for the tarp is to hide my piles, from my more skilled neighbours. I think it is a sure sign that I am an outsider around here ( having only been here 30 years). Invariably one or more of them will fall and have to be re-piled even before I move the wood into the basement.





I love the clouds on days like today.
I feel I am getting stronger as I go with this wood work. I guess I am recovering some conditioning. I wonder how much wood I would have to chop before I loss some weight? Of course, weight is an advantage when you are swinging a maul to split a block.
This is an invigorating time of year with the cooler temperatures, the anticipation of the coming of Winter and snow and a sense of panic for not having do all that you should to be prepared for the colder weather.

11 Comments:

At 7:44 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I see you are ready for old man winter. You are much more active then me in splitting wood. I love my wood splitter and would fight you over it. LOL Glad no accidents this year.

 
At 8:54 a.m., Blogger Caddie said...

Hey Phillip, you've done great! That is a lot of wood stacked there. I saw wood splitters yesterday while out....ONLY $1000 +. So those muscles of yours is worth a fortune.

 
At 9:48 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

My hubby is a good wood stacker but who really cares? As long as it stays in one place and keeps you warm, that's all that really matters!!
You certainly have more energy that either one of us. The log splitter is invaluable!

 
At 9:53 a.m., Blogger @JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

I think your wood piles look mighty fine, and reassuring, Philip! That's alot of work, but it's great exercise too.

 
At 9:58 a.m., Blogger Loretta said...

You must be in really good shape to have done all that!! Looks like a lot of work!

 
At 10:16 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Geez that's a lot of wood ! I would need some for our open fire !
I just came back from 30° in Egypt to 9° in Belgium !

 
At 1:39 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Do you heat with oil too, or is it straight wood?

 
At 7:29 p.m., Blogger MamaHen said...

I know that panic Philip! lol! and it doesn't even get what ya'll would consider very cold here.

 
At 9:41 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

We understand what you mean about being from outside. My husband's family owned a funeral home in rural Colorado where you had to own a house for 50 years before they called the house or farm by your name.

 
At 8:43 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Philip! Lot's of work you've done there. Good job. Enjoy your break.

 
At 9:54 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Well I think your wood piles are beautiful, so there!
I have a neighbor who stacks his wood according to TYPE... cherry goes in this pile, gum in that, locust over there. I asked him why, and he explained how each wood burned differently, what went on at night so you would have a slow fire and something left in the morning... never put locust in the fireplace, it spits, etc. It was really interesting. All I knew was not to burn pine except in little pieces as kindling.
I was no good at final stacking...I took too long fitting the pieces the right way so they didn't fall yet so the air got to them. I was allowed to fill the wagon. LOL!
He was 75 and still cutting and splitting his own wood...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home