DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

An Attack of Domesticity

It is a long time since I felt motivated to create in my kitchen. It is often hard when you live alone to get motivated to cook, bake or put up preserves. You fall back on quick "meals" grilled cheese sandwiches, bacon and eggs, KD (Kraft Dinner) and far too many meals made up of a bowl of popcorn.

It began when I could not pass the reduced price of over ripe bananas in the Coop. I decided to bake some banana bread. That turned out well, as it always seems to do for me. I then thought I would enjoy some oatmeal cookies. I saw a recipe online of some soft oat meal cookies that are made large and served with some vanilla ice cream on top. I love vanilla ice cream so this caught my fancy. I picked the last of my onions a couple of weeks ago. There were some small ones which I thought would best be made into pickled onions. They should be ready for Christmas.
Finally, I have had navy beans in the pantry for quite a while and I finally remembered to purchase some molasses so I decided to make some Boston Baked Beans, a great comfort food.

How long this attack will last I do not know. I know where I can get some beets and carrots to pickle. I guess I will do that next. Who knows where it will lead. Can baked bread be too far off?

It would be nice to share some of this cooking with someone. Well, for now I will freeze some for later and share a little with Heidi, my Great Dane. She seems to like a bite of oatmeal cookie, a nibble of banana bread with butter (even though she doesn't eat bananas) and she definitely likes to lick the bowl after I have had some Boston Baked Beans. How does that saying go, "If you can't share with the one you want you share with the one you are with. This is my version of " If you cannot love the one you want, you love the one your are with." :)

Time for some Baked Bean,s coffee and an oatmeal cookie. Yummmm!


















Banana Bread


















Soft Oatmeal Cookies

















Pickled Onions


















Boston Baked Beans

13 Comments:

At 11:02 a.m., Blogger @JDHealingTimeOnEarth said...

This all looks mighty tasty, Philip! It's great when a creative urge strikes, isn't it?

I made a big pot of stew yesterday, which of course was way more than I needed, so ended up freezing 3/4 of it. It will be good later, too.

Yes, love the ones you are with.

 
At 11:12 a.m., Anonymous AC said...

When I was teaching, the cafeteria ladies made yummy, big oatmeal cookies. They made two versions -- soft and crispy. I am a soft man -- so to speak. Cuppa likes just about everything crunchy, so she recently made small, crunchy oatmeal cookies. While they're good enough, I wouldn't mind trying one of yours.

 
At 12:10 p.m., Blogger possum said...

You wanna share you say?????
Hmmmm, lets see, if I leave early in the morning, I should be there by Tuesday....
After this last election, it might be a good idea anyway.

 
At 12:17 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

Mmmm...looks good to me. Wish I had some of both to go with my coffee.

 
At 1:32 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

now I am hungry! LOL Going to share your oatmeal cookie recipe? Tell Heidi not to lick too many bowls of beans or she will have to sleep on the couch.

 
At 1:54 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

Mmmmmmm looks good!! I don't have a sweet tooth but those beans look really tasty! I swear I could live off beans!

 
At 2:41 p.m., Anonymous Berni said...

Wow good for you. Everything looks good

 
At 9:27 p.m., Blogger John and Carol said...

Cold weather brings out the urge to bake, I guess. I baked bread today. Keep on cooking.

 
At 1:37 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

All looks fine to me ... and sharing home cooked food is something we all would like to do.... I'd enjoy breaking bread and chatting with you my friend... keep well keep safe
Tom

 
At 10:38 a.m., Blogger MamaHen said...

I know what you mean about not feeling inspired to cook when you are alone. Popcorn is often on my menu! However, since Jack has been around I have been cooking quite a lot; I even bought a new cookbook and have tried some new recipes. Funny how that is.
The bread and cookies and all look yummy!

 
At 5:54 p.m., Blogger Loner said...

I think it is the chill in the air that motivates me to cook as well. I've never had pickled onions- but they look lovely in the picture.

 
At 10:26 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Ah, Philip--you can chop wood, tend critters, build a cabin, paddle a canoe, read poetry, and now you reveal you can cook.
I am stunned that some smart woman hasn't just snapped you up already. You are a near perfect man!

 
At 12:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm coming over with possum! I might have to make part of the trip on my showshoes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home