DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Congrats Wills and Kate!

My mother would have enjoyed this day. She was very fond of the Royal family, in part because her mother and father were English but also because she admired how they served the British peoe in the Second World War. They were an inspiration then and a symbol of national unity during the darkest of days.

She could forgive individual member's shortcomings, and their were many, made trivial in the light of the stature of King George, the Queen Mum, and Queen Elizabeth II who exemplified "doing one's duty" for the country and the Commonwealth.

Prince William is one of the shining lights in the Royal family. He has his mother's good looks and charm. He has been raised to become king some day. In the meantime, he has begun a military career, gotten involved in charities, taken on some modest official duties, when asked, and been an enthusiastic sportsman. All qualities expected of a Royal.

I was touched to learn that he gave his future bride his mother's engagement ring. It is lovely and was unusual at the time but became popular. The last time I thought I might get married it was a Princess Di ring I chose.

It is nice that they will live in Northern Wales. He is posted there with the Royal Air Force.

As a bit of a royalist myself I often think it would be nice if a member of the Royal family came to live in Canada for a while. Prince Andrew would be a nice choice as he went to school in Canada as an exchange student at Lakefield College School. Now to convince a Prime Minister to consider asking him to be our Governor General at some point in the future. I am told it would never happen for political reason but one can dream. Hopefully, when they are married the happy couple will visit Canada.

















Prince William and Miss Kate Middleton

















"Got me a good one !"






















A handsome and happy young couple.

May they carry the weight of the life they face together, admirably, lightly as well as dutifully.

5 Comments:

At 4:03 p.m., Anonymous Berni said...

Although I was born in England I am not a monarchist and feel they only function as a tourist attraction so bring much needed revenue into the country. If the English public allow the monarchy to continue which there is a good chance they won't after Elizabeth dies, I hope William is a better example than Charles although the whole idea of him having to marry Diana because she was a virgin and an aristocrat was archaic and to some degree his behaviour was brought about by the establishment. Also like any other couple in the world they should pay for their own wedding. Why should be British public pay taxes when the Windsor's are one of the world's richest families. Let Mum pay. Apart from that I wish them well particularly her, she has had a long time to think about what her life will be like so presumably she up for it. The British press are horrific and she won't have a moments peace now.

 
At 6:15 p.m., Anonymous AC said...

I hope the ring works better for this couple than the last couple. Seriously, I do.

Used to pass that Lakefield school regularly in the 70's and early 80's on the way to the cottage.

 
At 12:10 a.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Well, I understand AC's concern--although it is the ring that Prince William's mother wore, so it has loving significance to him.

 
At 10:56 a.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Yes, Phillip, they are a lovely couple and very "royal" looking.
BUT...I'm more interested in your brief comment about having bought the same type of ring yourself. I feel sure there's a story there !!
(OK...it's none of my business.)

 
At 5:09 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

I shall be spending that day by the telly for sure!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home