DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My IQ: Insightful Linguist

Today, I had some leisure time so I decided to do the online Tickle IQ test.

I have had IQ tests a couple of times in my life. The first was just before entering high school. We were never told what the actual scores were. They apparently were for the benefit of the counseling staff. The second time was when I was training for chaplaincy at Boston State Hospital in Boston. It was part of a battery of tests over three days as part of being part of research into somatatypes.
(personality, intelligence and psychological charateristics are correlated with body types a revealed in three standardized naked photos of the person. . . . . No I do not have those photos to share. They are in the archives of some Ivy League school along with hundreds of others. By the way I am a 5 1/2 - 4 1/2 -1 1/2 (mesomorph/ endomorph/ectomorph.) Not much linearity here.!

Psychologically, all I remember is "Food for me has ritualistic significance," "I have a large female component" and " I always seek the lowest position of comfort." (I may start watching TV standing but slowly I slouch, sit on the arm of a chair, sit on the couch, lie of the couch and end up watching TV lying on the floor.) I digress!

I assumed I was "smarter than the average bear" or I would not have gone as far in school as I did (after just barely getting out of high school) and achieved at the level I did. I scored 130 on this unofficial test.(100 is the mean)

I have never been sure what IQ tests actually measured. There certainly are other factors that are more inportant to academic success than IQ factors. I had three rules for myself in University, 1. Show up for all classes, 2. Get assignments in on time. 3. Make sure the professor knows you personally. No IQ factors here . It worked for me!

So doing one of these unofficial tests is just for your own amusement.

Here is the summary of the report on me:

"You are gifted with the natural fluency of a writer and the visual and spatial strengths of an artist. Those skills contribute to your creative and expressive mind. Insightful linguists can take complex concepts and articulate them to just about anyone. You have a gift with words and insight into processes and the way people think. These talents enable you to explain things clearly to people."

"Helen Keller is a great example of an Insightful Linguist. Blind, deaf and mute, she was still able to put things together in her mind and to understand complex ideas. She could do that because she was able to conceptualize ideas internally. Though she could not literally see, she had the visual and spatial skills necessary to understand patterns on an abstract level. She learned to read, write and ultimately became a writer on issues of social justice. You have an uncanny ability to work your way out of sticky situations using your talent with words. Crossword puzzles, debates — you're particularly well equipped to come out on top since you can read people well."

Like Charles Dickens, your verbal skills go far beyond having a good vocabulary. Dickens' genius was in the artful and descriptive way he crafted sentences. Also Dickensian, is your keen eye for detail and your adeptness for identifying the best way to express an idea based on your given surroundings and circumstances. Your ability to communicate your vision clearly will take you far. So enjoy being perceptive, and make the most of your abilities as an insightful linguist."

Hmmmmm! Interesting. I think I have been keeping my light under a bushel.

7 Comments:

At 2:45 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

Actually the test seems pretty accurate in describing your writing skills. When you write about characters in your life, they are very vivid. It is fun to take those types of tests, just to see how close to the truth they will be.

Oh yes, I love the "Countdown" you've added. Can't be too soon for me!! Out with the scalli-wags!!

 
At 9:21 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I think your test did a good job of describing you. I drool everytime I see your wood cookstove!Hope you are enjoying the cooler weather as its back hot here.

 
At 11:49 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I agree that the test described your writing perfectly. I enjoy your vivid descriptions and the food on that woodstove is to die for.

What's the weather like in your neck of the woods? It's overcast here and in the mid 60s. We had rain last night.

Have a wonderful day.
Mary

 
At 12:08 p.m., Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

Sounds like the test was accurate. I'll have to give it a go another day. (I'm feeling to antsy to concentrate today.)

I also barely made it out of high school. It was interesting how I managed A+ in subjects I liked (art, comparative religion, photography, English, Spanish, creative writing), and barely passed ones I didn't like (Science, Algebra). LOL. As the teachers were fond of saying, I didn't apply myself.

 
At 12:29 p.m., Blogger Audubon Ron said...

I test out at 138. I also got ADHD and can't read fast. Menza is 140. I missed Menza by two FREAKING points. I'm also 5'11" and one-half. One half inch short of 6'. I seem to be always a half a can short of something...and I turned out okay.

 
At 1:35 p.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Mary, our weather has warmed up a bit: not much different than yours. We continue to have rain shower (over the last two weeks) with temperature between 15C and 18C during the day.

 
At 3:06 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

And now we're getting more rain, though it's only a drizzle. Enjoy this nice autumn weather. Before we know it, we will be huddling in winter coats and boots trying to keep warm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home