DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My Fantasy Women


I was asked by Tee (bless her heart) to do this meme. I am supposed to list 10 fictional women I would like to be intimate with, shag perhaps, hang out with, be in the company of etc) ( I stretched the original idea.) I am not a big reader of fiction, except dramas, so I have slipped in a couple of real people whose lives read like fiction.

Here are the women of my fantasies imbedded in non-fiction (mostly).

Lady Chatterley As a banned book in my youth she thrilled me with her fascination for a man's most precious part. Later in life when i did become a wood cutter I used to tell the other loggers i did so because of Lady Chatterly. It was a private joke as I never met a logger who had read the novel. (Lady Chatterley's Lover. D.H. Lawrence) {sensuality}

Nora Torvald She had the courage to leave a comfortable professional class marrige in which she was not recognized or appreciated. In her day, this was scandalous and the price she would pay would be a very low station in life. (A Doll's House, Henrik Ibsen) The classic feminist play {courage}

Julliet Her first love with Romeo was so overwelming and bitterweet. I would like to be reminded again of a first love. (Romeo and Julliet, William Shakespeare.) {pure love}

Ivy Rowe I discovered her in my first venture into Appalachian literature. She gave me an appreciation of the strength of the women of the hills. She was the center of a family living three generations through change. (Fair and Tender Ladies, Lee Smith) {family strength)

Florida Grace Shepherd While reading this book I wanted to save Grace. Through change she always landed on her feet. (Saving Grace, Lee Smith) I have not read all of Lee Smith's books but I suspect all her female characters are strong women. {resilience}

Miss Julie A woman who lived her own life according to her own rules. The ultimate "booty call" who separated sexual lust from love entanglements.(Miss Julie, August Stringberg) {available}

Eloise She is not a fictional character but as a nun her love affair the priest Abelard is a classic love story to die for. Oh to have a woman who would die for you. As a cleric, {I have harboured a lust for nuns.}

Anais Nin She too was a real person. She was a liberated woman before there were liberated woman.She is one of the great diariest of American letters. She seduced all them powerful men in her life and left them. She was a bicoastal bigamist for 20 years without her two husbands knowing of each other. (You cant make the stuff of her life up.
(See the film, "Henry and June". It is really about Anaise who was lover to both Henry Miller and his wife June). {Intellectual and self creating}

Anne Shirley What self respecting Canadian man would want to love Anne Shirley: so pure, so earnest, so Canadian. (Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery) {someone to bring home to mother.

Miss Daisy Who wouldn't want to spend some quality time with a grande Dame of a southern gal.
(Driving Miss Daisy, Alfred Hhry) {elegance}

As you can see I like strong intelligent independent women, who in the end don't need the likes of me to make their lives whole. It explains why I have loved and lost so many times I can live our my life with wonderful memories, alone.

I did not tag anyone and I don't think I will. It is an interesting exercise to revisit some of the interesting men or women in your reading, to whom you felt drawn, lustfully or otherwise.


6 Comments:

At 9:18 p.m., Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

Thanks for doing the meme. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I had fun reading it :)

I have a copy of Lady Chatterly on my bookshelf that I haven't gotten around to. I'll have to move it up in priority to read, after reading what you had to say about it! ;)

I heard the story of the nun and the priest. I think maybe I saw a movie about it? Very romantic.

 
At 9:21 p.m., Blogger MamaHen said...

Very interesting; I really enjoy your writings on love and sensuality. I think Southern men are way too shy to talk very openly about such matters so it's fascinating to me to read a man's thoughts on such. I work with nothing but men and have always thought so much of them but never gave much thought to literary men. Hhhmmm. Oh, love the music on your site right now too.

 
At 8:35 p.m., Blogger J C said...

Re Eloise. Same reason I am in love with Sydney, in Tale of Two Cities. No man has ever loved me enough to have his head chopped off for me. Ever! Never! Um...yet! :)

 
At 10:04 p.m., Blogger Rosie said...

What a wonderful list! I love all of those women too! I'd add Aphra Behn, Restoration playwright and spy for the crown.

 
At 10:17 p.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Rosie,

You got me there. I have never heard of Aphra Behn. Shame on me. "So much to learn so few years to learn it."
I looked her up, She is not fictional but admirable.http://lit-arts.net/Behn/ I look forward to learning more.

 
At 6:47 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Very interesting and what a brave guy... well done to you my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home