DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, October 05, 2007

Two Tales from a War



Every morning I rise early to read for about two hours, as the sun rises, about the political situations in the countries I am fascinated with: United States, Iraq, Afghanistan, Venezuela and Haiti.



This morning I happened to read two blogs from Iraq that are both relating experiences from a war zone. I think it is important to read some personal accounts which are not just statistics, and quickly mentioned and dismissed dreadful events.



I invite you to read these two accounts. I found them both moving and courageous. We are so fortunate that we will never have to live through such events. It is to bring a halt to such events that are daily in Iraq that we must continue to try to bring an end to this war.



Both accounts take place in Mosul, in Northern Iraq.



The first is "Sunshines" account of experiencing explosions in her street that were so close the windows of her home were shattered. It is not the first time. This fifteen year old Iraqi girl and her middle class family courageously stay in their city and country and live as normal a life as possible. They all escaped injury this time. http://livesstrong.blogspot.com/ (The October 3 entry)



The second account is a dramatic one of a fire fight by a squad of American soldiers. The writer/photographer is imbedded in the unit. It is a vivid description of the events. It left me wanting know more about the internal experience of the soldiers during and after the account.
Michael Yon writes a a former soldier and admirer of the military. http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/gates-of-fire.htm

I hope you are moved a little by these tales from a war zone, as I was.

4 Comments:

At 2:13 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Thank you for the links, I will go read then now.

I like to hear from people who are really there and aren't influenced by what the public "should" or "should not" know.

 
At 8:21 a.m., Blogger lv2scpbk said...

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

 
At 10:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appreciate you pointing me to these accounts. There's nothing like getting news first-hand.

Mary

 
At 8:03 p.m., Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Thank you for the links. I will read both accounts as well, shortly. And I will also check out kiva, from your great Thanksgiving entry,

For some reason I seem to have an awful time posting here, and often just give up, although I always read your entries.

Best regards,

Renie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home