DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Frost is On the Pumpkin!






















It seem the time has arrived to start the kitchen woodstove in the morning to take off the chill in the house. Almost every morning now the outside temperature is just below freezing. Leaving a hoar frost on everything outside.


















Here you can see the frost on the grass recording my trip to the shed and back to feed, "les animaux" and to pick up the eggs.

My warped mind finds itself repeating the nasty ditty!

"When the nights are hot and sticky,
That's not time for dunking dickie,
When the frost is on the pumpkin,
That's the time for dickie dunkin'"

This explains why Newfoundlanders with their long and cold Winters have the most active sex life of any group in Canada! Out in the mild La, La, Land, the British Columbians are least active. http://www.pollara.com/Library/News/dec_19.html



















I love the cool dark mornings when I get to lay the fire and then cook my breakfast on it. Here is my cheese omlette just finished.
I thought I would do the toast on the stove also. Turned out will.

The warmth of the stove and the smells of food and wood burning embraces one and get you ready to face the day!
Posted by Picasa

9 Comments:

At 9:18 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Neat: toast the old fashioned way.

 
At 9:56 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

I can remember eating toast cooked on Grandma's cookstove and it was the best in the world. The omelette looks delicious also. There's nothing that tastes so good as food cooked on a cookstove.

That cookstove is in great condition. Is it a new one or an antique? I love the way you have all of your pots and pans hung above it.

I see the frost and where you made your way up the hill. Thanks for sharing. As always I enjoyed my visit.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 12:37 p.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Mary,

The stove is the genuine article, an antique It is a L'Islet from a town in Quebec by the same name.

The pot rack was my friend Veronica's contribution when she came to live here. When she left I got custody as with the animals.

 
At 1:47 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Love the stove.. and this post. A completely different way of life, one that from a early age I would have liked to have had. I can see many a good post from here over the coming winter and each one I will relish.
Now then this toast, can I have some bacon with mine please.. coffee white and sweet.

I found the little poem very amusing but many a true word would have been said in just.

 
At 5:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog today..and I really like it. Its making me a tad homesick. I am from Engelhart...now living in Northern Manitoba.

Thanks for all the memories.

Laurie

 
At 8:00 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

I love your cookstove too! Very nice! I'm sure it's cooked up some real treats and the toast and omelet look great!

I laughed at the little poem. I had never heard that one before!

 
At 9:20 p.m., Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

That woodstove is so cool! We had one in our basement growing up but my Mom removed it :(

 
At 11:42 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

My mother had a stove that looked very similar to your photo. Thanks for letting me know that it was a Quebec stove. Interesting. I love antiques.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving the comments on the post about Asperger's Syndrome. I find you an interesting individual.

Have a great day.
Mary

 
At 5:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog today, its a good read. I love your stove, it made me think of my mothers wood stove when I was a little girl growing up in Arkansas. What i would give to go back to those days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home