DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Thanksgiving














Thanksgiving weekend is here: the leaves have all turned lovely colours, there is a chill in the air at nights, moose season opened, our American cousins are celebrating Columbus Day and the cranberries are in season. http://www.twilightbridge.com/hobbies/festivals/thanksgiving/canada/

In Canada we have much for which to be grateful. We find ourselves ranked in most studies among one of the best countries in the World in categories which measure quality of Life. I am sure most will give some thought to the blessings of our natural world, the industry and success of our people and the love and concern for our family and friends as we share in a traditional meal.

I find myself thinking of people around the World who need our assistance. We can do bettter, as a country and as individuals reaching out and helping people achieve just a fraction of what we have.

Have you every thought. . . . . .it would be so nice to be able to help just one individual or family directly with dignity. (I have an American friend, who I have never met, who sends money to a Cuban family through me. It is important to him. Shamefully, it is illegal for Americans to do so from their country.) Such a personal jesture is so gratifying.

Donating money to large international charities is important and encouraging the government to do so much more in international aid outreach in imperative but how wonderful it would be to feel the satisfaction of helping a specific person with whom you can follow with an ongoing interest.

Well there is a way! It is direct personal aid, but not charity.

I recently heard a discussion on the radio about this organization. http://www.kiva.org/ Kiva is an organization which allows individuals to extend micro credit to people who are struggling to better their lives and that of their families. Through it you can lend money, as little as 25 dollars. The repayment rate of these loans to "poor" people is an amazing 99%. You risk little and get to aid someone directly and keep an ongoing interest in their economic progress.

On this Thanksgiving, I encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of the Kiva program. What better way to celebrate the bounty we have by reaching out and personally offering aid to others.

I hope you will visit the Kiva website and give it your consideration. It is an interesting site and you can at least come to understand the nature of micro credit and the kinds of individuals aided in this way.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

7 Comments:

At 11:41 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's a great idea for TG. I keep forgetting that KIVA exists.

 
At 1:45 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

I lent money to a lady through Kiva last month. Though we struggle to get by, we are grateful for what we have and are always happy to help others who are less fortunate. Oprah did a story about Kiva and that is how I discovered it. Kiva is a great way to lend a helping hand. For as little as $25 you can feel that you've made a difference in the life of someone who has very little. Thanks for bringing Kiva to the attention of others.

Happy Thanksgiving. May your blessing be great.

Mary

 
At 1:53 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

I will be going to look at the Kiva site after this, I like your sentiments and your thoughts for others, it is a fine quality to find in anybody.

 
At 9:39 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian friends.

And yes do visit Kiva--I have made two loans. It is great fun to check your entrepreneurs.

 
At 8:24 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Thanks for the wonderful site!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

 
At 2:44 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

Hope you had a wonderful holiday! I visited the Kiva site and am very impressed. My sister and I will go in together once we decide on who to help. Thank you so much for pointing out some very important things we should all be doing.

 
At 6:48 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Oh, I didn't know that Thanksgiving was this weekend in Canada ! and I didn't know either that Americans are not allowed to support somebody from another country ! My son has "adopted" a senegalese child, i.e. he sends every month 10 € to pay for his school. The little guy is 6 years old and orphan. I wished more people would do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home