DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Miscellaneous Thoughts

I am not as stressed as I was the other day, when I blogged of endless tasked that seem to need to be done by Winter.

I have made some progress. I now have a new bathroom floor. I even have the toilet properly installed. It looks pretty nice and June has stopped needling me about getting it done. ( She hasn't figured out that I am passive-agressive and the more I am pestered the less likely I will do something.) So I am back to my mellow self! I am even making some good progress on the shed and hen house. The later now has an insulated ceiling and a double door against the cold.


















With a face like this who can be mad at Babe for long.!!! Here she is at rest near the front of the house, turning heads as people pass on the road. It seem with pigs in Canada raised in large confinement sheds, few people get to see a pig up close and personal. When the Hydro Electric contractors showed up to remove my old "beer" fridge (a second inefficient fridge which I never used for beer as I don't drink. For me it has been an eggs and milk fridge) , the workers wanted to have their picture taken with Babe. One fellow seemed nervous of being near farm animals.. . . . .city boy!



















Well we are seeing the last of the Fall foliage. These are the Tamarack (Larch) along the side of the road coming into River Valley. Behind them is a black spruce bush where I occasional pick Labrador Tea. The Tamarck are the "evergreen" that drop their needles. They are, more accurately, deciduous trees with needles. They are a lovely shade of yellow somewhat darker and brighter than the yellow of the leaves on the Ash trees that started the season.


I have been watching with fascination the Natural disaster of fires in California. In the midst of it all CNN showed one of the familiar Canadian Water bombers, which are widely used here. A couple of years ago one came swooping over my place to drop water on a small fire that had started across the river. ( Shortly after that a helicopter showed up with three firefighters who camped there overnight and put our any hot spots that might start.) These planes are quite remarkable as they can land of the water and scoop up 800 gallons and take off without stopping. They are very effective fighting fires in remote areas. With thousands of lakes to use, turn around time is never very long. Once the winds stop, I am sure they will be a big help in California. I wonder where the nearest lake or reservoir is?

Apparently, Quebec sent two "Superscoopers" and 8 pilots to fly them.


















From British Columbia, Canada also sent a Martin Mars water bomber . This is the largest flying boat water bomber in the world. There are only two in existence and they are based on Vancouver Island on Sproat Lake http://www.martinmars.com/









I cannot help be struck by the contrast of the response to the California Fires' disaster and the
Gulf Coast Katrina tragedy. It seem if you are white, middle and upper middle class rather than black and working class and poor, the response is so much more. You can be sure a year from now all the homes and business lost in California will be rebuilt while many homes in New Orlean will still be waiting to be rebuilt. It will be very interesting to watch all this unfold. I certainly wish the Californians well. It make me glad I live here and not in the land of disasters.

6 Comments:

At 12:59 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Babes is a face to love. I'm sure you can't stay angry at her long.

Thanks for mentioning that Canada has sent planes to aid those in California. Those are some nice looking planes. I saw them on the news the other night, but your photos give me and close-up view.

Enjoyed your post, as always. Take care and enjoy your day. I hope your weather is as beautiful as ours.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 8:50 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

I too have been pondering the differences between responses in New Orleans post-Katrina and responses in s. California with the fires. I think socio-economics explain some of the differences, probably politics too, but the other element is that with a flood like Katrina, the water stayed around for days. Once a fire blows through, people can move around again.
I just visited New Orleans, and met there several Canadians who were helping in recovery efforts. Bravo for Canadians!

 
At 10:26 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I enjoy visiting your blog and reading your posts about your life in northern Ontario. Please drop over to my blog and pick up a little treat that I have for you. Enjoy!

 
At 6:11 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

Great post.
As you say with a face like Babes who could not forgive her.. ha!

I read through your post with much interest as usual and I was glad to see you mention the fires.

If I may quote you: "You can be sure a year from now all the homes and business lost in California will be rebuilt while many homes in New Orlean will still be waiting to be rebuilt. It will be very interesting to watch all this unfold. I certainly wish the Californians well"

As complete outsiders here in the UK, both Jane and myself mentioned this and echo your thoughts. What we saw on the news with Katrina was disgusting, and we never thought that in this day and age in a country like USE we would see such a thing. We were shocked to say the least.

Great post, always worth reading and I always look forward to dropping by.

 
At 9:26 a.m., Blogger lv2scpbk said...

Love that cute little pig.

 
At 9:35 a.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

What a sweet face! Thanks for sharing her.

The fires were horrible and the loss devistating. It's just a big reminder that Mother Nature can go quite mad at times. Of course, now the story is coming out that it was human madness that started it. How can those people sleep at night knowing what they did?

I'm not sure it's just because it was white vs black that made the difference in the relief response, but I'm sure we'll hear that often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home