DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Two steps forward, one step back!


It is a spectacular day here today: warm, calm, bright! It is trying to lull us into thinking Winter is still far off. It really isn't and I would not care except I am trying to get a number of things done before the cold weather set in. For the most part this includes improving insulation in part of the house, particularly the cold room in the basement and insulation in the shed for the livestock, more insulation in the ceiling of the hen house and in the ceiling of the space in the shed for the critters. There is also lots of structural improvement necessary and some impovement to the pens for the pigs, which will farrow in the middle of Winter. I hope to also replace the shingles on ther front verandah. I keep putting this lower on the list but it badly needs to be done.


Some days I feel I am making real progress. And then, there are the setbacks! Two step forwards and onestep back . . . or is it one step forward and two step back? Some days it feels like the latter.


Here is the list!


In spite of all the rain, the river level dropped and my water quit as the foot valve in the river ended up on the new shoreline. One could learn to hate rural plumbing! Luckily, the check falve held and all the water in the system , including the hot water tank didn't end up in the river. (If it had I would have burned out the elements in the tank.) I manage to restore the water in a couple of hours rather than days.



The septic tank was letting me know it needed to be pumped out. Sewage was showing up where one does not want it. (I will spare you the detains.) The truck came to pump it out and apparently my system is blocked somewhere beyond the tank preventing the liquid from draining out. I will have to dig part of it up and investigate. (And, I thought it was because I had a woman in the house;) They use lots of water!) This job awaits doing before everything freezes.


Then the cleaning lady, who comes and does some cleaning for Dave and June was prevented from coming until I repaired some damage to the bathroom floor. My response was an overwelming desire to tell the agency to F*** O**!. ( But that would ruin my reputation of never swearing.) The cleaning lady only ever came and drank coffee with June and then mop the floor and leave. When ever I suggest she might do something useful. ie. clean the oven or wash the windows inside the house, she is not allowed this is not light housecleaning!!! June likes her, she needs the money and is a relative of Dave, so I confronted the bathroom floor problem, biting my lip, keeping my opinions to myself. There was a spot of damage near the tub which required replacing the floor right down to the joists: two layers of 1 inch planking, underlay and new linoleum.



As I began the bathroom work the toilet drain proved to be plugged with something. I suspect Dave but something he shouldn't have down the toilet. Twice I have cleared this drain. I think it is finally fixed, I hope so for I am about to install the linoleum and reset the toilet.



Well this morning the pig Babe conspired against me. She began to root up the lawn. I have 366 acres of bush and fields she could have chosen but, . . . not she attacked the ground by the house. Does she hear bugs and grubs under the sod?
Warning gardeners!
Don't keep a pig as a pet. The weather has been so moist and warm the lawn was looking very lush and green, better that in previous years. I almost began to fancy myself a gardener. The only good thing is now Dave has something outside to do. Ever since he helped with the wood he has wanted an outside chore. So he is out there with his little dogs and his walker replacing the sod ,"green side up". It is good for him to get out and get some exercise and fresh air.



I am back on track now as I am on a break from installing insulation in the hen house. After a short time the dust leaves you with breathing problems. Mercifully, I am almost done and will be installing an inner door to give the hen house an insulated double door against the cold.


Next the new top to the pump house and a new door on the opening I toss the manure out. I will be repairing the shed until the freeeze up.


Oh ya! that front veranda roof!!!


Perhaps, this will be a day of two steps forward and only one step back. So far I am not having visions of a new life in a nursing him!!!








Babe's handywork. She could have at least done it where I hope to build raised gardens for Dave to use next Spring.Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

At 10:37 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Babe and thou have been very busy.

 
At 10:58 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Wow! And I thought I had a lot to do. The roof on the veranda can probably wait, but the septic tank and the weeping tile sure need to be functioning properly before a big freeze. Rural plumbing isn't fun. It was easier using the outhouse. You just dug a hole and that was it. When the hole was filled you moved the outhouse to a spot over a new hole and covered in the old one. Not very environmentally friendly though.

We had a super day here in southern Ontario. It was 26 degrees C. Tomorrow is to be another summery day but then the cold front is to move in.

Enjoyed this post immensley. Thanks for letting us know what you are up to. I hope the work goes well so you can start winding it up.

Have a great week.
Mary

 
At 11:41 a.m., Blogger Dale said...

I don't know how you find the time to blog. But I'm glad you do!

That Babe is quite a busy pig, isn't she?

 
At 2:53 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Oh! how I laughed at your post today, not becuse you were in a bad situation but at the way you choose to handle it. All the jobs building up and folk getting on to you.. then Babe... I bet you were fit to burst, I don't think anyone would have minded a swear word or three.. ha!
The funniest statement you said was about the SOD.. Green Side Up,, ha! I remember saying the same thing to my son once and he did not see the funny side of it, which me me laugh even more.. ha! he downed tools and left me to sort it out. I did but still I stopped now and then to giggle.

Keep laughing when you can, and if you feel like a good swear... e-mail them all to me so I can have a good laugh.

 
At 4:31 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

sounds like your weekend was busy. I have been getting more and more steps behind but I sure hope to catch up soon.

 
At 12:49 a.m., Blogger dot said...

Wow, things are really hopping up your way!
The muscovy was at my daughter's house. She really loves it.
Thanks for your visits!

 
At 2:41 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

Oh,that naughty little Babe. She was just trying to get those nice juicy grubs out of the lawn for you. I can see how all of your pre-winter chores must be weighing on you. But it does sound like you're moving ahead slowly, but surely.

We seem to have our septic freeze up and overflow every winter. What a pain!

Just keep at it - soon you'll be done and ready to snuggle down for a long cozy winter.

 
At 4:51 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

There is a lot to do for you ! But it happens to me too, but more one step foreward and two steps back, lol !
We have unusual cold weather here for the season this night -2° ! and during the day not more than 9°C but it is sunny and that is unusual too !

 
At 5:37 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

You have been as busy as a bee! Babe did a good number on the lawn!!

 
At 4:56 p.m., Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Country living keeps one hopping, doesn't it? Wow, Babe is almost as good as a tiller! I enjoyed reading about your country doings. Never a dull moment, it seems.

Renie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home