DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

BOO! Happy Halloween













(I thank Gattina for sharing this banner)


When you live up a dark road in the country a mile or more from town little children do not show up at your door very often. Perhaps, it is the howling wolves that scare them away. More likely they are too lazy to make the two mile trip for a candy apple. (I remember going a long way just to get one. Among the shouts on the street, "Trick or Treat!" and "Shell out, Shell out or I will turn your house inside out!", you would hope to hear hear, " Mrs ****** is giving out candy apples."We made a bee line for her place.


For years, I made candy apples, not so much to entice kids to my door but to make a little girl happy. (Sometimes we did them together). I made enough for the whole school (about 50 kids spread over eight grades), so she could take them and share them with the other children, for which she got recognition and praise. Well, she is all grown up now and I have no connection with the young local kids so I do not make candy apples any more. I don't even have enough good teeth left to eat the left over ones!


In 27 years, I think I have had six kids come to the door on Halloween, usually they were brought my their parents. Each year I always had some candy treat to give out. Usually, my son and I ended up eating it ourselves. At least I always bought the stuff I liked, knowing I would have to eat it.


I remember when Parker was little and we were the only white folk living on our New Haven, Connecticut street, I took him door to door. To my surprise, (and theirs, I think) when my 4 year old tow-headed devil in red knocked on my black Muslim neighbours they announced they did not celebrate Halloween. I didn't know and it seems they could not get in the spirit of this pagan custom. Others did and we soon had more candy than a little child should eat.


Perhaps, this year someone will come by. The new kids near by are teenagers so I don't expect them unless they want to scare me with a trick! If they do they might get a surprise with a couple of sows coming snorting up out of the dark looking for a treat!


I hope everyone has a lovely Halloween, particularly if you have little ones to get all excited about it.

10 Comments:

At 8:37 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

This will be the Smudge's first Halloween. Looking forward to that part of it.

 
At 9:47 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

I'll see if my Jane will pop over to your place on her broom, you will know her right away... the big carrot nose gives her away. ;0)

 
At 10:35 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

This Trick and Treat thing is a very nice use ! I only experienced it once when I was in London visiting my son and kids rang at the door. My son had a basket with candies and cookies standing there so I could distribute some and had a lot of fun.
This year I will celebrate only virtually, tomorrow is a big Halloween party and I have some other Halloween costumes to show which my son has made for me (I don't have photoshop) I looked on Internet for Halloween stuff and found the most craziest things ! Unbelievable I didn't even know that all this exists !

 
At 11:34 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

We don't get many kids in our part of town either. Most of the people around us are retired couples. I do buy candy, but hubby usually ends up eating it and I give the rest away.

Happy Halloween. Have a great week.

 
At 6:49 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I am the same way. Too long of a driveway to come down but I will have about 6 or so neighborhood kids walking thru the woods to get a treat bag. I try to fill little bags full so they can go home and get a sugar high. LOL Happy Halloween and may all your spooks be good ones.

 
At 12:37 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

We've never had more than 5 children come to our door for treats. And now, there are none. Since we work 2nd shift, we always, just in case, put a bowl of candy on the steps with a "help yourself" note. I hope you give some special Halloween treats to your two sweet piggies. I'll bet they would have loved a candy apple.

 
At 8:33 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

I only have my great niece that comes by here. Then she hits the subdivisions for the rest of her goodies. Last year I went with her some and ate lots of her candy! :) I ate some of the things she didn't like and it worked out great!

 
At 9:47 a.m., Blogger Ms. Kathleen said...

For me there was nothing better than a caramel apple or popcorn ball. Like you, those houses got a smile and not tissued papered (ha! was I really that onery?!)

 
At 10:00 a.m., Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

People actually give out candy apples?! I've only seen it in movies. LOL. That's too cool!

And I love your little rhyme. I've never heard that one. We have "Trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat." (Which I was forbidden to say, of course) ;)

 
At 9:23 p.m., Blogger J C said...

We had zero trick or treaters and we live in a "neighborhood". I think the kids all go to the malls now, or to church parties. It's safer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home