DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Prelude to Autumn

Well! I am starting to anticipate Autumn. The rain today and the refreshingly cool breeze coming through my window put one in the mood. When I took my bath in the river it seemed somewhat colder. In a couple of weeks it may be too cold to swim comfortably.

Now that my split wood is tucked away in the basement, I know I will have fuel enough for the kitchen cookstove, around which life revolves all Winter.























Here is my much loved antique wood cookstove. My previous post with the photo of the cat and kitten under the stove, reminded me it was time to clean the stove before its daily use is called for. You should have been able to see my reflection taking the picture in the chrome.

The chimney will need a thorough cleaning, also. I could do without another fire that began with a chimney explosion.



















My favourite activity around the stove. Cooking on it. It is particularly satisfying when I cook using ingredients a grew or raised myself.



















The first sign of Autumn in the air is the Black Ash trees turning colour. They are the first to turn and often have dropped all their leaves by the time the other trees are in full colour.



















I have been waiting all Summer for the Chinese Lantern plant to ripen. Physalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It has largely overrun one of my gardens. I hope there is enough fruit to make a batch of jam. This plant is poisonous. Eating the green fruit and leaves can be fatal. Interestingly my, pig, which may eat other things in the garden, ignores this plant with its lush dark green leaves. Smarter than the average pig!

I am interested in edible wild plants. Native Canadians in this part of ther continent, Anishanabi, prior to European contact, were probably more food gatherers and fishermen than hunters. The fur trade transformed their culture into a trading economy based of hunting furs.
The forest is a banquet of food if you know what to look for.


Many plants are listed as poisonous when, in fact, parts of them , in the right season, or cooked properly are quite edible.

If you are interested in potentially poisonous plants here are a couple of good sites.

From the Canadian Government , a good place to start Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

If you live farther south there is a nice site in North Carolina , Poisonous Plants and Mushrooms of North Carolina

7 Comments:

At 9:28 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That's a fine looking stove ... and breakfast. Yum.

 
At 8:54 a.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Good to know autumn is coming to you in the north country. I love autumn--my favorite of all seasons--and can't wait for it to be cool here. Last two days--temps in central PA approaching 90 F. Too hot for Sept. for me.
The black ash turns color first? I have a green ash that turns first among my trees--must be an ash trait.

 
At 7:18 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I want your cookstove! Your kitchen looks so inviting. Fall may be there but here its still HOT!

 
At 10:42 p.m., Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

I am finding your blog very interesting. Thank you for your writings. The idea of subsistence living is indeed a noble and valuable concept. While I do not live a "substinence" lifestyle, I do tend towards a minimalist lifestyle in terms of consumption of goods and or services. Not wholly, but much more so than the average person.

I hope to add you to my blog favorites in the next few days.... if you would rather I not do so, please let me know.

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

 
At 12:05 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a way of making autumn sound super-cozy. The cooking, the food you raised yourself. Here in Boston we are getting some falling leaves and a bit of color change.

 
At 2:58 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

Your antique stove is wonderful looking. Although I don't know if I'd have the patience to keep stoking it and figuring out just the correct amount of wood to use for baking etc. It must be rather hard.

Actually pigs are very smart - smarter than dogs. They've just been given a bum rap through much of history.

Our green ash trees are dropping their leaves here too. Fall is definately in the air.

 
At 11:05 a.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Personally, I love autumn. The colors are so vibrant and beautiful. Winter, on the other hand, I'm not a fan of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home