DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

JUST ANOTHER SUNDAY

This morning I put on all my logger's safety gear (boots, pants, helmet with eye screen, ear muffs, and gloves and headed for the bush to finally get some the logs out that blew down last summer. My neighbour came with his skidder to make the job relatively easy. I meant to have June take a picture of me so you could see what a well dressed logger looked like. After working in the bush and having some near misses I have come to appreciate this equipment. Even with it I managed to fell two trees that struck me , nearly cut off my big toe and came close to running myself over with my own skidder, in my short career as a logger. Oh! i should mention I rolled my skidder over with me inside once. What self respecting logger hasn't done it? The equipment doesn't make you any smarter. . . . . .just makess a most unforgiving job a little forgiving.

It is a beautiful clear warm day with a cool breeze blowing: an ideal day for what we are going to do. I did manage to work up a good sweat just putting the gear on. The pants are too small ( have put on some weight, I see) and the boots are always a struggle. I had to wait for Leo so I had a chance to rest and cool down before we struck out into the bush just in front of the house.
After a morning of labouring at the wood cutting we called it quits, for now. Now I have some wood to cut, split and pile for use in the late Winter; Early Spring.


(click on photo to enlarge)

















The task before me for this week.


















And there is this split wood to tuck away in the basement. To make it enjoyable; one has to face doing wood as a spiritual discipline. The Zen of Wood!!! I prefer this idea to self- flaggelation!



















When rest is required I can join the cats on the couch. If I could come back I think "as a cat" would be very attractive.



















Sometimes I just play with my bird and watch TV. My" flock of one" is growing and getting a few feathers. I think it thinks I am it's mother. Am I turning into some old cogger who keeps a chicken in the house? (I have a backwoods neighbour who lives with two women and kids an keeps his chickens in the house because he is too lazy to go look for the eggs. Don't you just love the country with all it characters. I am sure some people think am one!



















I finally gave into June's pleading and gave her one of the bunnies. She went out and bought this condo for the bunny and a lot of fancy food and attachments. $125 to house a $2 bunny.
Maybe, if I come back it could be as a pet bunny for a little old lady. One could get used to being cuddled between her ample breasts and be made a fuss over.

Today, is the anniverary of Dave and June's wedding I officiated with them by the river last year. With Dave you would think she has enough to look after without a pet pig, rabbit, two dogs and a cat.!

Well so much for this time out. Back to the wood project. Ommmm! Ommmm!

7 Comments:

At 4:55 p.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Looks like you have a big job in front of you! We keep our uncle stocked with wood for the winter and it's hard work but we enjoy it.

Your cats are adorable and so is your chick. How do they get along?

Hugs,
Laurie

 
At 7:14 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

My dad was helping out a cousin out logging one day. He came back with his arm swollen up twice it's size. The log truck was coming down the side of a mountain and rolled. Dad ended up with a broken arm. Took me two days to convince him to go to the hospital!

 
At 10:47 p.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

Goodness, all that work ahead of you! Who said you were retired???
I read that when you have a lot of dishes to do, you should also treat that as a meditative action. Well, I guess so . . . .

The kitties are sweet as well as the chick. I hope your chick becomes a pet and you just take her eggs. She does need a name.

Reading your previous post, I was very surprised and saddened to hear that my favorite comic strip will be ending. I love all of the characters and it is the only comic that is like life. It is not some sugar-coated, simplistic, mind-numbing strip and its originality was completly refreshing. I looked forward to it and wondered how she would solve certain problems the characters had gotten into. What a special person she is! I'll miss the Patterson family.

 
At 6:18 p.m., Blogger J C said...

Forgive my city ignorance, but what is a skidder? Chicken Little is so cute. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't eat her when she grows up!

 
At 2:21 a.m., Blogger Ron said...

I like your chick, Phillip. Very cute. I think you're doing the right thing, trying to make siblings for it. Although, "only children" do manage to fend for themselves, as we've found out. Maybe it will be quick outgoing, like our daughter, and unlike us. :)

The kittens are also very comfortable-looking. That couch looks mighty inviting.

We have quite a bit of wood chopped and stacked - no easy chore, and I wish you safe chopping.

Talk to you soon,
Ron

 
At 8:40 a.m., Blogger dot said...

That sounds like a lot of work to me. Good luck!
Thanks for visiting my blog.

 
At 10:00 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Gosh, you had a lot of work (and now a lot of wood for the winter) for me all this sounds a little exotic, living here in my peaceful Waterloo with a little garden and my 5 cats, now wood to cut, just to buy it for the open fire. I love your "cat pile" they look so cute and I agree if ever I have to come back on earth again I also would choose as a cat (in a home like mine, I am my cat's servant !)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home