DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, August 24, 2007

I am a Pisces
















"Pisces are spiritual in nature and emotional in expression. Pisces intuition and imagination are at once Pisces strengths and weakness. Pisces are attracted to the mystical side of things, and herein lay potential danger, for when pulled beneath the currents of everyday life, the realms of imagination and the subconscious offer little structure. Without the foundation of reality, it becomes easy to flounder and to lose direction. Pisces own salvation, however, can come from helping others less fortunate that yourself, especially those who have fallen into the misty realms of drugs, alcohol or spiritual confusion.The Pisces motto might be "Reality is just a shared illusion," and, in a higher sense this may be true. Nevertheless, you still need to survive in this "shared illusion" of reality, and sometimes this becomes a struggle for you compassionate Fish, who can feel the pain of the world as if it were your own. There's no easy escape for you. Your best path is to follow a creative or spiritual pursuit while doing your work in the real world. "

I am not a true believer in anything: always the sceptic. This is particularly true of horoscopes.
And yet, mine always strangely and painfully seems to have a ring of truth to it.

I do know my life has been one of a "tortured soul", always wrestling with the ultimate questions of meaning but never willing to sign on to some easy formula of Faith. My mind is rational, trained in philosophical discourse and yet I am drawn to the wisdom of the mystics with their intuitive experiences of what Rudolf Otto called the "mysterium, tremendum et fascinas"
(the mystery that is both terrifying and fascinating).

There are those who would say that if I only accepted "-------" on Faith, the pain would go away and all would be well (forgiven, full of Grace, acceptance, love). It is tempting but for me the price would be too high. For me. my essential humanity requires that I be the eternal Seeker, searching, evaluating, doubting, hoping to glimpse the Divine, yet always knowing it will remain a Mystery.

Such is my fate: always the pilgrim, never the keeper of the Temple.


Postscript

I no sooner wrote this blog entry than i read the news article about Mother Teresa. It seems I am in good company. Letters Reveal Mother Teresa's Secret - AOL News

6 Comments:

At 10:20 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't know what I am: neither believer nor skeptic, it seems.

 
At 10:29 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

As you know I have a deep faith but it doesn't nor do I expect it to take or keep away bad things, illness or death. What my faith does is give me the strength to get through the bad times. To know that I have a God that is with me every step of the way. That I have guardian angels, that I am never alone, that I am very blessed no matter what the day brings. I am blessed to have a wonderful friend like you. Don't give up searching. You will find what is right for you to have faith in. And then life seems to have more color.

 
At 11:03 a.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I think I overstated my case when I wrote "not a true believer in anything". I do have moral convictions like "we are responsible for one another". "A moral life is worth living." "Duty is required of us." "The tribe (family) is the basic unit of society not the individual."
"All people are fundamentally the same and worthy of our respect and compassion." "People should always be judged by the best they have to offer." Some of these I have held to tenaciously when others insisted the contrary and I had no hard evidence to support my view. Perhaps, this is a kind of faith.

 
At 12:27 a.m., Blogger Dale said...

But you have worked as a minister. Surely you believe in ... something. I'd better do some research on Unitarian beliefs.

 
At 1:08 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

I think it's very important to always question and evaluate beliefs and life. Life is in a constant state of flux and everthing changes. It only makes sense not to become mired in one way of thinking. How can you grow as a human being morally and spiritually if you mind is standing still? I'm finding that as people grow older they either begin to search and question or become totally entrenched in long held beliefs.

Very interesting about Mother Teresa. I've read articles about her sometimes questionable work with the poor and it seems she was caught up in a whirlwind of hype. I'm rather surprised the church released the letters.

I like your site a lot.

Gets one thinking . . .

 
At 4:15 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

I don't believe in horoscopes and all these things either. I think they are made that way that it fits on everybody. Different is astrology I didn't believe in it either and then a friend of mine made one for my son when he was 10 years old. When I read that and his future, I thought that she is crazy. But 20 years later I found this thing again and everything which was written in it had become true ! So now I don't know anymore what to believe and what not. But horoscopes anyway are b...sh..t.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home