DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

ABOUT THE PLACE



The telephone service has been down for two days. This length of interruption is unusual. I don't miss getting calls, in fact, I hate the intrusion of the phone ringing and then having to talk to people on it. It does keep me off the Internet, which I do miss. So if you missed me,(which I doubt) you know why.

I do need the phone for emergencies. I have actually asked the phone company if they had a service that allowed only outgoing calls. Living far away from emergency services, no phone service could be a problem. When my house caught fire, a few years back, my phone didn't work. Luckily I had a vehicle here so I could drive to two neighbours before I could make a call.

Now I have Dave living with me and he has needed ambulance service three time already. He is a lot better now the doctor has his diabetic medicine right.

Here are some views about the place:


click to enlarge


















Here is my new flock of one!!!!! I incubated 45 eggs and only one hatched. I don't know what went wrong but in the meantime, I am trying again to get this chick some siblings. This one is getting spoiled. It thinks I am it's mother and will sit on my hand while we watch TV together. My kitttens have been very interested in this new resident. They will sit and watch it in its cage in the kitchen.



















You are never too old to get a nuzzle from your mother. Babe, in white, is supposed to be a pet but right now she is just right for be hanging from a meat hook. I am a bit of a softy, (it is the suburban boy in me) so I think I will keep her and breed her. Besides, June would give me a hard time if I dared filled the freezer with pork.



















Another one of my rabbits had a littler. It was her previous litter that my friend June, "loved to death". I think there are about 10 in this litter. I just peeled back one side to expose these 7 naked bunnies knowing there were a few more hidden in the fur. I expect the mother will successfully raise these as long as we resist interfering. The other rabbit that had a litter has raised all eight of them which are now cute beyond belief.


















Wood, wood and more wood. I just began splitting my second wagon load of wood. In spite of my bad shoulder, (from dropping a tree on it when I worked as a logger, un bucheron) I can still swing a sturdy maul. This job should have been done in the Spring. It has come down to now or never. By next month, the Fall rains will be frequent and it will be hard to get it into the basement dry.
























Dave likes to help. I am the log splitter and he is the trucker. He calls his walker, "my truck".
I think he also like to be outside doing man's work where he can see the animals. We spotted for the first time, the kittens my barn cat had. I expect them on the back porch for some food, when their mother decides they need to be weened.

4 Comments:

At 8:17 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Well, actually I had missed you--wasn't sure if you post often, so I just kept checking back.
Sorry about the phone service being down. Maybe you need some emergency ham radio or something?
I love the photos of all the little critters--and I am a pig lover both as pets and as food. Hmmm--a bit conflicted, eh?

 
At 8:54 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Our internet service was down too. Embarq is changing things so its back but goes down every few minutes,usually in the middle of my trying to leave comments.

 
At 9:01 p.m., Blogger Rosie said...

Oh, dear Lord. It sounds like you have worse problems with your phone service than I do.

Sorry about your poor hatch percentage. What incubator are you using? Mine is a Brower TopHatch and I've been really happy with it. If you use a water weasel(it's a cheap kid's toy) and a digital thermometer it's really easy to fine tune your temp.

Are your pigs sweet? I've been wanting to get some but am nervous about running them in the pasture.

I do love your blog! It's right down my alley.

 
At 11:39 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The critters are so cute, especially the chick. The amount of firewood gives me the creeps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home