DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

About the Place


I have made several attempts at taking a picture of my young rabbits. With the flash failing and the bunnies moving I have not been very successful. Here is a picture of the cute brown one. the other seven are black. a couple with a tiny white spot on the nose. I placed them in this white cage to try to get a good picture. Sorry! it is the best I can do for now.

They are all doing well under the care of their mother. June wants me to give give her the brown one as a pet. I am afraid she will "love it to death", like she did to the last litter.




















Here is a philosophical question! How many chickens make a flock??

I may have to decide this question, for I have had only one chick hatched out in the incubator. I have four dozen eggs in it.

Here is the lonely but noisy one.



















I am not quite given up on there being more. This one is almost two days old with no hatch mates in sight. I will give it a couple of more days. I have an enormous bag of chick starter. . . .
I may have to try again to at least use up the feed. I wish I had more confidence in the incubator. Then again, at least I won't have to borrow my neighbours brooder. I was hoping to add to my laying flock.














Awe the leisure life of swine! (On my farm atleast). They are resting "apres the diner!" I wonder which one is in a snit, the "derriere a derriere" position is hostile, don't you think? Passive aggressive, at least. Reminds me of myself napping with a friend when I felt less than cuddly!


















The cooler weather has insired me to split some more wood for the winter and get it in the basement before the rainy autumn. Dave got inspired to help. At 85, he can only come out for a little time to toss some faggots on the pile. But he does this several times a day, between rests, and thereby feels he is contibuting in a material way.

He like to complain about my splitting maul which is too heavy for him and he cannot split the blocks. I am tempted to repeat the old adage, "a poor carpenter always blames it on his tools. " I am too kind to speak that out loud. In his life he has split more wood than I will ever split. I just say, "It works for me." (and smile).

This wood is just the beginning. I have another load of blocks like this to haul home and then my neighbour will skid out about 20 trees for me to cut up, split and pile. I wish I had done more in the Spring, when most wood is prepared. Around here splitting and piling wood is a art form. Oh how I wish I could pile those perfect rows of wood! I just admire them, in peoples yards, as I drive through the area.

Splitting wood, like doing dishes, is a form of meditation for me: moments of fullness of meaning in the midst of one'e aloneness.

My favourite quote from the mystics is from Evelyn Underhill, "Work is a form of prayer." I always think this is a wonderful text to draw inspiration from when confronted by a labourious repetitive task. Namaste!

2 Comments:

At 8:23 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I love seeing photos of your animals and around your farm. When you get finished splitting and stacking wood there come on down we still have lots more to do.

 
At 7:57 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can't imagine cutting and stacking all of the wood that you're going to. I have basically stacked a few cords approximately once in my life. I'm kind of glad I did at least that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home