DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Miscellany


I just can't organize my thoughts today. Lots of ideas but nothing coherent so here are some random ideas.

We had another thunderstorm the other night which denied me access to the Internet. It happens every time there is a storm. I did the usual routine with the AOL tech guy in Moncton, NB but I knew it was a telephone company problem. I used to burn put modems regularly. I now have surge protector so the problem stays with Bell Telephone. 24 hours later it came back on it own. This seems to be a largely Ontario problem! I wish they could solve it.

The temperature on my back porch was about 35F. The heat has broken. Everything was fogged over as the cool temperature covered the warm land. By the time, the fog burned off the temperature was 40F. The cool was lovely I enjoyed my trip to the yard to feed the animals dress only is shorts and a tee shirt (me not the animals.)

Canada has another new territory. globeandmail.com: Quebec Inuit to sign historic self-governance agreement It is the northern third of Quebec called Nunavit. It is where 10,000 Inuit live along with about 1,000 other people largely Cree and Naskapi, spread over 14 communities. This territory is larger than California. (Damn! Canada is big.) It is the arctic zone of taiga, the tundra.Nunavik - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Don't confuse is with Nunavut, which is the other larger Inuit territory,(If it were a country it would be the 13 largest) established a few years ago across the Hudson's Bay.Nunavut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hopefuly in these two arctic territories the Inuit will control their destiny and benefit from the great arctic resources.
It is fascinating to read about these northern territories that very few Canadians will ever get to visit. Just once in my life I would love to go the the Arctic. I also wish I could learn to pronounce the place names.

















The new territory of Nunavit.



Speaking of the North, My friend Denis is away in Labrador working a drill in mining exploration. He is right by the ocean where he can see whales go by and i assume icebergs as well. Labrador is to the east and south of Nunavit.

It is no secret that my friend Denis drinks and smoke to much. I don't do either! In spite of our may differences we remain friends and I am glad to give him a place to stay when he is in the area.



















This squirrel reminded me of Denis! Smile Denis.


It is berry season. Here is some raspberry jam we made. Wild raspberries are so good and there are so many on my land.

(I dropped my digital camera once too often. I don't think the flash works so the quality of my indoor pictures is not as good as I would like. Otherwise, you might have got a picture this morning of my lovely baby rabbits which are doing find and getting quite active.)



















The chokecherries and blueberries are ready for picking. Later in the season blackberries can be found. Jelly can also be made from the haws on the hawthorne bush, the rose hips on the wild roses and the wild mint along the river. After the first frost, the high bush cranberries are ready as are the proper cranberries in the Cache Bay cranberry bog. Nature has a bountiful harvest if you are privilege to easily access it.

3 Comments:

At 6:49 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Love the squirrel! LOL I am sooo jealous of your cool weather! We are still melting in the heat and will continue the rest of this week at least. I am hoping the tropical storm will come on up this way and at least give us rain.

 
At 8:51 a.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Great squirrel photo. :)

It's been beastly hot here, so I'm hoping some of your cool weather will hit us.

 
At 12:59 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'd like to explore the north too but the cost is high ... and the funds are low. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home