DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, October 31, 2008

HAPPY HALLOWEEN



















When you live out a country road and do not have young children, there are few signs of ghost and gobblin (or Obamas and Palins ) showing up at your door. There was a time when I drove my son into town so he could panhandle some treats from people. In 30 years, I have had less than a dozen children show up at my door.

Hope springs eternal. Each year I get goodies for the chilldren, just in case they show up. For years, once we were convinced no one was coming, my son and I would eat the treats. I wonder who might show this year? I expect I will be eating the treats alone tonight.



For a number of years, when I had foster children and had some children in town hanging out at my place, I would make candy apples. For me, as a child, they were the ultimate Halloween treat. I made enough candy apples so a young friends of mine could take them to school and give everyone a candy apple. Our local school in those years had about 50 children spread over 8 grades. ( Now there are just under 30)
In those days, I could eat candy apples. When you get my age your teeth are not good enough. . . . even if you have enough teeth.
Oh! to be a kid again, dashing from house to house. . . .
"Trick or treat. . . . Trick or treat!" "Shell out, shell out or I will turn your windows inside out!"

13 Comments:

At 5:21 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Have a relaxing halloween. I plan on sitting by the fire and having a quiet night.

 
At 5:28 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Candy apples remind me of fall! I hope your Halloween is nice. Maybe someone will come out and surprise you. We don't get trick or treaters here either. Not usually.

 
At 6:06 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope you enjoy the night whether eating treats or giving them out.

 
At 6:53 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

May you have a blessed Samhain or Halloween. :)

 
At 11:27 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Candy apples? Mmmm. Those look good enough to make me want to go Trick or Treating!
Every year we have quite a few "imported" kids. Our neighborhood is between two apartment complexes--and parents actually drive their kids to our neighborhood and then slowly cruise along as the kids walk door to door.

 
At 3:16 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

And I for the first time in 33 years I live here had 8 little witches, pumpkins and devils ringing at my door ! Apparently Halloween arrives in Brussels. I published a Halloween party under the Atomium !

 
At 10:42 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

We haven't had a single child at our door in five years, or in the twenty or so before that when it was our cottage!

We had many when we lived in Toronto though!

 
At 1:17 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

Happy Halloween to you. I got a kick out of your comment..."no Obamas or Palins either". Seems that McCain is so dull that he doesn't even rate a Halloween mask!

 
At 9:57 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

We had a total of 5 little ones and 4 older girls drop by here. We don't usually get that many even though we are right in town. I do enjoy seeing the wee ones all dressed up. One little girl was a Disney Princess and when I asked her which one, she looked me directly in the eye and said, "Ariel." She was the highlight of the night because she asked me for gum, which I just happened to have. I gave her 5 pieces.

Take care, my friend. I hope you enjoyed the evening. Did you get to eat the treats?

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 10:01 p.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

My brother and I went to see my dad at the nursing home on Halloween. Most of the staff had on costumes and I dressed up as a kitty. It was really fun. We got back to the house around 8 and only had a few trick or treaters. We took the rest of the candy down to the nursing home the next day.

 
At 7:55 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

Hi Philip
Thanks for the comment you left... but alas if I did live closer I would be no good for 'putting to work'.. Jane on the other hand can turn her hands to most things and enjoys it also.
Those apples look good... we get many knocking on the door now a days.. and it's nice to see the outfits... we even had two dogs turn up dressed up this year.. one had flashing horns attached.
I'll still be dropping by so catch you again my friend.

Tom

 
At 12:38 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

Those apples look yummy. I haven't had a candied apple in years. We took the kids to about 6 houses (I guess I should get the pictures up soon,eh?) where we knew people. No one comes to our house. Something about that quarter-mile uphill driveway.

 
At 3:27 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love toffee apples! Especially when you take a great big bite and you have toffee stuck on your teeth and you are dribbling apple juice everywhere! Lovely!
We went for a guided ghost walk this year, first time and it was so much fun. Spooky and very funny! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home