DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, October 13, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING


'A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God
for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed.....
to be observed on the second Monday in October.'













Today, across Canada, families are gathering to give Thanks for the blessings we share. Central to this is the traditional Thanksgiving meal shared with family and friends.

We need to be reminded that is this not a reality for all of us. There are the poor and homeless for whom a Thanksgiving meal with family and friends is not a reality. At best, it is an act of charity and a meal with strangers. Having adequate food and shelter should be a right and not a privilege. Until we no longer have food banks in Canada, celebrating our blessing and bounty
should always fill us with a feeling of unease. We are a much blessed country, shaped not only by our three founding cultures but also a multitude of cultures from around the world. May it always be so.








The Labrador Flag

I will be flying my Labrador Flag today. My friend, Denis, brought it back from Labrador for me a couple of years ago. Since there is no Labrador Day holiday I have had trouble finding a nice occasion to fly it. I chose today. I am flying it in honour of Martin Frobisher, who explored much of Labrador and Newfoundland. It was Martin Frobisher, who held the first Thanksgiving Celebration in North America in 1578.

Happy Thanksgiving, Eh!

10 Comments:

At 8:09 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I pray that in our lifetime we will see a day with no homeless or hungry people. I am afraid the way things are going in the world its going to be much worse. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Hope you have lots of turkey,dressing and laughter in your day.

 
At 8:34 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Yes, it is a shame that there are so many who have so little in this day and age... But, for most of them, the best we can do is generate good intentions that all beings be free from suffering.
Speaking of Labrador and newfoundland, have you ever read The Island Cities by Paul Chaisson? Check it out - some very interesting history there...
Again, Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 9:31 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

 
At 12:16 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

I agree - so many people have so little to be thankful for. It's one of the reasons we live where we live - the Mountain Man is providing homes to those who need them and can't get them through conventional channels. And none of his homeowners are being foreclosed on in this latest crisis. Some banks could learn a thing or two.
Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Labrador Day. That's a very pretty flag.

 
At 12:42 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I love your Labrador Flag and am so glad you found an occasion on which to fly it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you. I hope you enjoy the day. It is a beautiful autumn day here and perfect for Thanksgiving.

I'm thankful for many things today. We are a country that is blessed. However, I too think of the people who do not have the means to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Take care, my friend.
Blessings,
Mary

 
At 3:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Philip, I love your flag and I am so pleased you get to fly it!
I love to see flags, proudly displayed.
Hope you are keeping well!

 
At 3:55 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Eh to you too, eh?

 
At 11:34 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

Philip...Happy Thanksgiving, I hope you had a good day. I don't think I will ever take food and a roof over my head for granted again, after what I've seen this year dealing with my sister in law.

Take care
Loretta

 
At 1:47 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Happy Thanksgiving ! I didn't know, it's not like the American Thankgiving that even an ostrich with his head in the sand can't ignore ! How are the piggies ?

 
At 9:10 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Oops--missed it by a day. Happy Thanksgiving and happy Labrador day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home