DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I'm Back. . .I Think!





To those who send me comments on my previous post and offered sympathy for my persistent illness, Thanks! I appreciate it. Some even went so far as to write me an e-mail, which was unexpected and unnecessary but very touching.



I am not a big user of the National Health Plan. I avoid doctors and take no pills. So far I am reasonably healthy in spite of the aches and pains that seem to go with age. The last time I spent time in a hospital I was 5 years old with polio. If my illness persisted much longer I might have taken the advice of several people and sought out a doctor.



I woke up this morning feeling quite a bit better. My low grade fever seems to have gone as has my hacking cough. I suspect I had a touch of pneumonia. My sore back has improved enough so that I can put my socks on with relative ease and no pain.


Now if it will only can warm up. Last night with the wind it felt like -35C. This temperature keeps me busy keeping the two stoves in the house fed with wood and the one in the shed going. I put the cows in last night and kept them in part of today to help keep the shed warm. For those who have not spent time around cows they give off a lot of heat. This should be the last of the bitter cold weather.



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Some friends have asked me about my opinion of the American selection process for candidates for the election for President.


The process goes on far too long and has become corrupted by money. This seems to be the American way. Setting this aside. . .


If I had a vote I would have voted for Denis Kucinich. He was the only progressive liberal among the candidates. What clinched it for me was the fact that he still lives in the modest home , in a working class neighbourhood, he bought for $21,000 years ago. He is not one of the multimillionaire politician that seen to find ways to make their fortune in and around politics.


Sadly, he is no longer in the running .


I also admire Ron Paul for his consistent political views which are classic conservativism. He may very well be the only conservative in the race with his 19th Century Conservative Liberal views, often identified as a Libertarian.


I could never vote for him for his view ignores a 100 years or more of progressive political views that see government as being a positive force to help people.


Of those left in the running I could only vote for a Democrat. The Democrats should be able to run a goat and beat the Republicans this time round. John McCain seem to be the aged sacrificial goat selected. He offers nothing more than a continuation of the program of George Bush, militarism and tax reduction as the solution to all problems. In the balance between security and liberty always err in favour of security. He seems to be an honourable man but lacks any new vision for the future.


This leaves Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Hillary Clinton began her campaign for the Presidency with the idea that it was her destiny to become President. She put in her time through her husband's presidency and waited out the Bush presidency learning her political craft as a Senator. Who could deny the fact that it was the time for a woman as President.



Well it hasn't worked out. She amassed her supporters early but reached a point where she seemed to have little room to grow her support. She ended up running against Barack Obama rather the for vision of hers.


Barack Obama from the beginning appeared to be a young fresh face after eight years of the dismal Bush years not only with the war crimes, fear mongering and attacks on the Consitution and the values it was meant to protect but also political scandals largely among the Republicans.



He developed a vision of a different America which offered hope and change. He has caught the imagination of a new generation for which race is no longer a factor. It seems to be his destiny to become the next President of the United States. The next few weeks will tell the tale.



Postscript:




With regard to the idiot radio talk show host, Bill Cunningham, who wanted to make some critical point out of Barack Obama's full name, Barack Hussein Obama, he seems to have wanted to say he is not a "real" American, possibly even a subversive, possibly a Muslim terrorist in Democratic disguise. In any case it was a racist remark. To his credit, John McCain disassociated himself from these slanderous views.




I draw you attention to Dr Juan Cole's views on this issue. http://juancole.com/ in his February 27 blog entry. He goes to great length to inform us of all the Semitic names of people in American history. He argues that Barack Hussein Osama is very much an American name. The article is well worth reading and shows us how much more rich our understanding can be if we know more than one language.




It turns out the Barack means "blessed one" and Hussein means, "good one" he is therefore the blessed good one. Let us hope so.!

9 Comments:

At 12:20 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I tried to comment earlier but Blogger was throwing a hissy fit. So, that's all I'll say for now just in case it spits this one out too.

 
At 7:32 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

It's good to hear you are on the mend somewhat... as of the elections I'll not comment on them... but I agree the comments and slander by some as not been nice to see on the news programms

 
At 11:06 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

I'm glad you are feeling better!
I sure did enjoy the pictures of the animals in your previous posts!! They all look so comfy and snug!!

 
At 6:05 a.m., Blogger J C said...

Ah Philip, I can tell you are feeling more chipper by your comment on my blog. Thanks for giving me credit of being just a little, teeny bit smarter than my bird! If you were not so far away, I might have to come over and smack you!

I'm happy you really are seeming to get over this grunge you had. It isn't fun at all to be sick, especially when you have responsibilities, such as helpless animals to feed and otherwise care for. Where in the world did you get this horrible virus from. It isn't like you have germy people around a lot. You would think this virus would have been frozen before it got to you. OK Philip, up and at 'em now. No more lollygagging around under the warm covers.

I won't comment on your political views except to say I am close to your thoughts. We don't really have much to choose from, though.

 
At 12:21 p.m., Blogger Julie said...

Hey Phillip, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent bout w/ feeling poorly, but so glad tohear you are feeling better. You are a strong and savory guy who can't be down for too long!

I love your views on american politics. I said last december, 'I just can't wait for it to be over with'.. it really gets drug out. If they spent the campaign dollars on worthy causes such as health care, food, shelter, wouldn't that be remarkable? I have supported Dennis Kucinich and voted for him in '04, it's a shame he's not very well known, as he is very remarkable. I believe Obama will get the job and I am hopeful he will do well.

 
At 11:40 p.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I am so very glad you are feeling better. As an American, and a voter, I am sadly disappointed in our choices for election 2008. I can only hope to choose between the lesser of two evils, as has been the case for nearly as long as I can remember.

Hugs,
Laurie

 
At 2:08 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

Tossing - I glad to hear you are on the mend. Hopefully your weather will warm up to help your recovery along.

I agree completely with your feelings and opinions about our candidates. I too am hoping that the "fresh faced lad" Barack can do some of the good things he's talked about. You can really see by the support he is getting that the American people are in desparate need of hope. We've become mired in bad news and "business as usual" politics that even a whiff of positive change stirs people.

 
At 12:55 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

Very well said. I held out great hopes for the election this year, but as you say, Kucinich (who most closely mirrors my beliefs, though not completely) is no longer in the running, so it's politics as usual. I could be happy with either Obama or Clinton, but I do wish Clinton would get back to her forum and stop sniping. We are in one of the very last states to vote in a primary so I'm trying not to get too attached to anybody. Our votes really and truly do not count when our primary is so much later than others. If they really want election reform, all primaries will be on the same day and good candidates like Kucinich have a chance.

 
At 11:50 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

Somehow your flu bug got sent down here. I'm also wondering if I have a touch of pneumonia. I was really sick over the weekend and am still running low on energy and fatigue easily.

As for the American Presidency, I'm not sure who I would support. I always wonder how a new president will relate to Canada. I've heard some rumors that Obama isn't Canada friendly, but have no proof of that and of course I haven't been watching much tv lately.

Keep warm and get lots of rest.
Blessings,
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home