DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Winter Storm

Yesterday, I wrote God was merciful bringing mild weather for the birth of my piglets. Well! He changed His mind. I guess my insincerity was detected. LOL

What ever the reason we got some dramatic weather today. We are having a blizzard. It is not particularly cold -8C but with the high winds we are getting it feel like -20C. We may get as much as 5 inches of snow. Last night it was freezing rain and rain that knocked down the snow on the ground which left me with ice on my walk to the shed to look after my sows and their piglets.

(click on photos to enlarge)


















View from my back door

I an not sure the photo reveals how miserable it is outside. With high winds and blowing snow it is a brisk trip to the shed.


















Here is another picture of Babe and her litter of 15. She is doing fine but Ruby continues to have trouble. She doesn't seem to be able to get her pen organized. I have had a couple of more of her piglets die. The piglets have not discovered the heat lamp corner yet. I hope this means they are not too cold yet.

If the temperature continue to drop keeping the shed warm will be a problem. If the wind stays up when the temperature drops to -14C tonight it will feel close to -30C. We are on the southern edge of this storm. Thank God for small mercies. Further north the temperature may drop as cold as -50C with the wind chill factored. I guess I will be up all night again keeping the stove in the shed going to fight the cold. It is like this sometimes here in the "Great White North".



















Here is a summer view of my beloved Temagami River, which crosses my land. It is taken at the point where my water intake is, about 300 feet from the house. It is looking upstream. Just beyond view around the curve is the log cabin.

Oh! for the lazy hazy days of summer floating on the river.

(Sorry about the underlining. I don't know how to stop it. It started on its own just below this last picture. One of those mysteries when blogging.)

8 Comments:

At 1:27 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

That's really too bad about the piglets. Very sad.

We have had a flash freeze too and our basement is flooded. The pipe that drains the water from the thaw of the last couple of days, froze solid!! My husband has just gone to town to rent a steamer to hopefully thaw it and get the water running again.

Our dogs don't stay out too long in this weather!

 
At 4:12 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

oh! Philip I'm sorry to hear this, I hope Ruby starts to have some luck now. Again I feel guilty about sitting here with no snow and wishing I had some.. our cold is nothing to what you have to endure... I will be thinking of you and the animals tonight and wishing you well.

 
At 5:07 p.m., Blogger MamaHen said...

Well, congrats on your piggies and sorry about the ones that didn't make it. Hopefully, the one sow is doing better now and maybe the weather is a little better by the time you read this. I feel silly talking about how cold it has been here in the south when I know I would not be able to stand it up where you are. Take care!

 
At 5:53 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Oh, I hope you don't lose anymore of your piglets. Hope the storm soon passes and it warms up some for you.

 
At 10:24 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The wind took our garbage can. Have you seen it?

 
At 10:50 p.m., Blogger Hilary said...

Beautiful photos and adorable piglets. I sure hope the rest of them survive and thrive. You live in a lovely, albeit presently cold part of the province.

And anvilcloud, there's a collection of garbage cans and recycle bins on my street from this morning's winds.. come find yours!

 
At 11:24 p.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Poor you in a blizzard, I never experienced it here we have 1° today and we all pretend it is very cold ! Sad that other piglets died !

 
At 8:46 p.m., Blogger Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I was living that trip to the pig shed with you even though the coldest cold I've ever experienced would be around zero or slightly below since I'm from the Boston area. Spending the winter here in Naples FL and it's been in the 50's at night. The natives say, "it's freezing".
Wonderful pictures and a window into your way of life. Hope the piggies don't get layed on by their Momma's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home