DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Piglets and More Piglets

Some people have asked me about my piglets. They are two weeks old. (Below are some photos I took on my last trip to the shed to put wood in the stove.)

The weather here has turned cold for a few days. It was -35C on the back porch this morning. It is to warm up to -15C today . It is clear, cold and crip out, really quite nice as it is very still with no wind.

Lying in bed this morning with my dog, Gage, sharing the pillow, I hear on the radio that a bunch of fellas are trying to set the world record for the longest continuous hockey game, during these deep cold nights. They are having a wonderful time, although some have been treated for frostbite. Then, they announced a big pond hockey tounrament getting underway. I don't know how many teams are involved but these are played on natural pond ice cleared off so that there are several ice hockey rink size sheets of ice. Believe me, a geat time will be had by all. Finally, they announced that up at the tri -town area they are having a golf tournament on the ice of the lake. (Golfers are a crazy lot) They have laid out a nine hole golf course and are using tennis balls instead of golf balls. Teams will compete and they will raise funds for a local charity. For those who live in warming climate this may all seem like insanity. Well it is. . . . . . but it is better than cabin fever and depression. To enjoy the North one has to celebrate the Winter weather by playing it it.

Feeling guilty for laying in until 7:00AM, I got up, for there are three wood fire boxes that need tending and animals to feed. Lucky, I am a cheerful riser, and have my most energy in the morning.


If life takes a lull, I can always go watch the piglets for amusement.





















A pig pile, the best way to keep warm


















They are beginning to wander. Some even got out of the pen and got Gage really excited!


















Sharing the warmth under the heat light can be fun, too

















But still, the family that sleeps together. . . . . .

Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

At 4:46 p.m., Blogger J C said...

Oh my, what a pile of pigs. I don't blame Gage for being excited. If I were him, I would have just stayed on the pillow though.

 
At 7:10 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

They are just adorable!! You are a good 'dad' keeping them nice and warm.

 
At 7:45 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Since I was a little girl, I have thought pigs to be cute. I played with piglets as a child! Thanks for the update.

 
At 1:16 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

I am melting ! they are soooo cute ! and they grew so fast ! I like the little black once. I think I will never eat porc chop again !

 
At 8:40 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

Great to see the piglets again... and your writing on the weather and how folk are coping... I agree it sounds more fun than mad... but golf on ice with tennis balls... that would be a sight.. ha! all the best to you and your charges.

 
At 1:01 p.m., Blogger Deborah Wilson said...

I love animals and the piglets are just too cute. I can't believe how cold it is there, but it will soon warm up?!

Happy Valentine's Day, Philip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home