DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

It had been my intention of writing something for this day about the remarkable woman I have been privileged toromantically love in my life. Discomfort from being ill has made it difficult for me to focus well enough to put my ideas together. So this idea will incubate longer to perhaps emerge at another time.

In short, the women of my life have all been strong independent women who I always respected and continue to do so. Virtually all of them continue to hold a special place in my memory, a couple even occasionally live in my real life. I continue to love them and what we shared. I am never tempted to speak ill of them. I don't know if that says much of them or much about me. . . . perhaps, both. Only with one women did I ever end the relationship, not because of her but how she and her former husband treated their children.

The risk of loving independent women is that they never really ever need you. You cannot possess them. So they seem to have all outgrown me and moved on. One learns to cherish what we had and to celebrate what they went on to accomplish. I learned to absorb the pain of the loss of their presence in my life and the little bit of my soul torn away with each departure.

There is no love in my life these days. It would be nice if there was but I am content to live off my memories for now.

One news story refreshed my Valentine's Day. Perhaps, you saw it. It is about Gorilla love in the wild rarely witness in a face to face position. It left me smiling. Read for yourself. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1713215,00.html

Happy Valentine's Day!

5 Comments:

At 4:47 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Great post Philip....
ed me of a Nelson Willie
Song: 'To All the Girls I've Loved Before'
This post is a fitting tribute to them... and you of course... There's a great saying which I think is well meant 'Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all'.

The 'Gorilla love' made me smile to... a moving story for sure. Just glad the Silver Back did not roll over and go to sleep... or the female tell him the Bamboo needs cutting back after. ha! all the best for this coming weekend.

 
At 12:47 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

It is difficult for me to comment on your post, because I just belong to this category of women. I probably turned out like this because of a father who treated my mother really like sh..t and at a very young age I learned to never be dependent on a man.
Here they say : it's better to be happy alone then in an unhappy relationship.

 
At 12:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My love and I just celebrated 39 years together, but, he is an over the road truck driver so I have allways had to be independent. I believe it made me a stronger, better person.

My wish for you is to find love again, but as I told my daughter before her divorce...there is much worse things in life than living alone.

loretta

 
At 5:31 p.m., Blogger Synchronicity said...

happy belated valentine's day to you.

 
At 3:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I'm a little late but this was a truly lovely post. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home