DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Day

Two day before Christmas my son, Parker and two of his three childrens showed up in the rain to cut a Christmas tree for their house. It was a pleasant surprise as I did not expect to see him at all over Christmas. We traditionally cut a tree together earlier in the month of December and that date had past.

He invited me to his house for Christmas dinner, so I accepted.
























Here is their tree. Not bad for a wild tree, just the right size for the space they wanted to put it in. Parker lives in a very well appointed middle class suburban type house, which his wife Sandra always decorates for whatever occasion comes up. They are, unlike me, a sociable pair. This meal was their third Chrsitmas event. They hosted the office party of the staff of Sandra's work, The Children's Aid Society, about a dozen or so. They then hosted the staff of Parker's school, about 60 souls, for their staff party. Now they are hosting me and Sandra's mother and two of her aunts. Normally there would be about ten others but this was a small group this year.

It was a typical Christmas meal: turkey, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, stuffing, rollls, garnishings and pecan pie for dessert. I got the leftovers , from the 28 pound turkey, (about 12 pounds,to take home . There will be lots of turkey sandwiches for a few days.

The bones are busy now preparing a broth for soup, "Waste not want not!" one of the many aphorism I was raised on.

For the kids, skating was the order of the day.



















This is their backyard rink. Every self respecting Canadian father, if possible makes a rink for his kids. This is a good one with improvements made every year. The boards around the rink are new this year and their is floodlighting for night skating. We had a two day warm spell with rain and our snow was reduced by about half. It seems they had enough ice made to not have is all melt. It won't be long before we get more snow until a bank of snow will suround the rink.

I remember, when we returned to Canada from living in the US, I made a rink in the backyard of my fsther's house so Parker could learn to skate. He was a little behind in his skill level with the other kids, but he soon caught up. I was the "zamboni man" clearing and flooding the ice nightly.When we moved to the farm I made a rink directly behind the house, and did so after Parker went off to school for a couple of young friends who spent a lot of time at my house.

I am one of the few Canadians who cannot skate. My father never made us a rink. I embarassed myself on skates once and when we went to skate on the 2 mile long rink on the Credit river, I could not stand the cold and the pain in my ankle. Those are my three reasons for not skating. So far they haven't rescinded my citizenship.

There have been attempts to learn over the years.. When I was 18, my mother bought me skates for one last effort to get me skating again. They hang in my basement becoming antiques without almost never having been worn. When living in Boston I even tried myself by sneaking out a couple of nights to try unseen skating on a local pond. The pain, oh! the pain, I couldn't get the skates off fast enough. I resist trying once again on Parker's rink, although I wistfully think what fun it would be to glide and swirl about the ice. . . . . .then I remember the pain! So I watch the kids enjoying themselves.




















Here is Parker tightening up Olivia skate. She went out to skate and shoot hockey pucks three time in the short time I was there. She and the boys have all played organized hockey. Dylan and her were on the same team for a couple of years. She didn't play this year as she was involved with the swim club but she is talking about doing hockey again next year.



This is Dylan's bedroom. He is a sports buff , like his father, these days with a particular interest in baseball. He is a Toronto Blue Jay fan. The poster above the bed is one of two I purchased from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is oldtime players sports card, including (Shoeless ) Joe Jackson, of the Chicago Blacksocks sandal, "Tell us it isn't so, Joe! Sadly it was and now the scandal is Steroid use, "Tell us it isn't so . . .Barry!"
It was a pleasant eveningPosted by Picasa

11 Comments:

At 5:08 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Although I could and possibly still ca skate after a fashion, I was never very good at it. My last efforts were about 20 years ago or more, and I remember how much my feet hurt too. With me, it was just the soles; they felt like they were breaking in two.

 
At 8:47 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

I have always wanted to skate but can barely stand up on skates. Also, at my age I'm scared of breaking bones!!!

It looks the closest thing to flying.

 
At 10:13 p.m., Blogger Marvin said...

It's a good thing I'm a resident of the southern U. S. so that the fact I've never once tried skating does not put my citizenship at risk.

 
At 12:34 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

So glad you had a nice Christmas with your son. The food sounds delicious and I'm sure you will enjoy the leftover turkey.

I loved to skate when I was a kid, but haven't tried it for many years. One of these days I'm going to. The grandsons could laugh while I feel down.

Take care, Philip. I'll catch up with you when I get back.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 7:42 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I love to ice skate! So glad you had a nice Christmas with family. Have a great new year!

 
At 12:32 a.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

It sounds like a lovely time! I am so happy for you.

 
At 8:45 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Your son is lucky to get a Christmas tree for free ! This year I found the prices exaggerated ! for a middle sized tree 40 € and a big one 85 € ! I wonder if poor people have to stay without a tree ! The tree you cut is really nice. I never skated either I tried it once, felt and had enough of it for the rest of my life ! But I did rollerskating. I see this funny countdown "the end" gets closer lol !

 
At 5:11 p.m., Blogger Lizzy said...

I'm so glad you had a good Christmas with your family.

I am interested in the skating rink, I wonder if my brother in law in Calgary has one?

We used to love the ice hockey when we lived in Germany the Hannover team played at the rink at the end of our road and they were quite good. Unfortunately we have no ice rinks near us here in the warm south of England

 
At 4:10 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

I just wanted to tell you that I published today some pictures of my Christmas in Amsterdam. I can tell you this city is really depressing at this time of the year !

 
At 8:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

i left you a response back on "afghan lord". looks like you had a joyous christ-mas.

anthem boy

 
At 10:58 a.m., Blogger Neva said...

My husband skates very well and all 3 kids could skate when they were young...I am not sure about now(in their 20's)....but this little girl from West Virginia does NOT skate...even after many attempts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home