DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, December 21, 2007

Water: Good news . . . .Bad news


The water came back on, over night, in the shed. That is the good news. The shed is flooded! Bad news.

My waterline in the shed froze last week somewhere below the floor level. This in spite of the tracing cable I installed and the light bulb in the insulated cabinet where it enters the building. Last fall I even piled some old hay on the ground on the other side of the wall. I never used to get this problem when I piled snquare baled hay there.

I have worked on it on and off all week. I installed a second 100 watt bulb right at the floor level. I went and bought a Vidal Sassoon hair dryer to work on it. (My house mate, June tried to take over this farm tool to dry her hair. Some days, I have to put my foot down and retain control of my stuff!!!!)

I had pretty well given up on getting the water back and I began to face the prospect of hauling water all Winter.This morning when I turned the tap on in the kitchen and the water pressure was not as good as it should be , I suspected something was amuck! (You see I have had this experience many times before over the years)

The flood was not too bad . I turned the cows and sows loose for a while so I can practice the "zen of manure shoveling". It was time anyway. I was just waiting for the warm weather this weekend. (above freezing) I should be in good shape for a nap the afternoon!




















Yesterday was a lovely sunny day. I guess the cows got tired of waiting for some water. They showed up at the front door. I watered them good and they went back to the hay.



















This is what the road in front of my house looks like. It is plowed wide and gets little traffic. Two miles up this road it enters the bush. Thirty miles on the unplowed bush road and you reach Baie Jeanne, the most southern bay of Lake Temagami. Anyone for an ice fishing trek.

Actually, Denis and I are planning on taking Dave and Denis' Grandfather, the two octagenarians ice fishing next week. We will rent a ice hut on Lake Nipissing, to which we can drive, so the old timers won't have to walk far to catch some fish. I get to go as they need a designated sober driver to get back.


When Parker was young we played on the road. Street hockey or me pulling him on a tobaggan behind my old farmall tractor. Those were good days.

I might get a dogsled harnass for Gage and he can pull me along the road on skis. Mush you husky!



Gage is keeping a eye on the cows. I haven't told him yet that I may put him to work hauling me around. he might actually like it.
Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

At 11:57 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Poor you ! to get the water problem fixed ! The snowy landscape on your pictures are beautiful and I love the cow ! She has such a nice collar, lol ! If you want to make a walk through the Christmas market in Brussels the link is on my blog.

 
At 3:02 p.m., Blogger Rhea said...

Frozen pipes are such a pain. They make me so nervous. Anyway, cute dog. Happy holidays to you!

 
At 3:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the dog. Sorry about the water pipe problems.

For us old folks, it is a weary time of year. So as it winds down may I wish you and your family a very happy and healthy holiday and a prosperous new year.

Abraham and Patty Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo
Brookville, Ohio USA

 
At 4:21 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You certainly have a lot of adventures up there.

 
At 11:59 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I can remember all of the freezing water pipes that I've dealt with over the years. When I was a kid, the old pump would freeze up in winter. Thawing it with water from the reservoir on the old woodstove wasn't much fun and we had to be careful the water wasn't too hot or the cast would crack.

The road looks like it's been ploughed well. Better than many here in the city. Gage could pull you along there on a sled without much trouble, I suspect.

If you do go ice fishing please remember to take along your camera. I would love to see photos.
Be careful and stay safe on the lake.

Blessings for a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Mary

 
At 9:38 p.m., Blogger Rosie said...

I love Gage...he looks like he knows he's landed in a soft spot.

My dear lord, Philip...this pipe thing is dreadful! We don't get snow like that here for very long, though the old timers tell me it was like that when they were growing up. The creeks would freeze over and stay that way for months. I'm such a lowlander, I pretty much stay put when a snowflake falls.

 
At 10:54 a.m., Blogger Neva said...

I can't imagine hauling water all winter but needs must I suppose!! Hope you don't have to do that! Gage is looking good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home