DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Last Dog Post. . . . I Promise


This is my last post about my dog drama for a while. I thought I would write this because so many people seen interested in it. I thank you for your kind comments on the death of my Ben and your encouraging remarks of my choice of another dog.

Gage is all I could ever expect to want in a dog. My reservations were unfounded. At 18 month he is just a big pup. To the credit of his former owners he is well behaved, loyal, quiet, comfortable with people and the other dogs and cats in the house. He also has a full compliment of tricks. "shake, sit, lie down, give me a hug, catch the ball, fetch the ball, and more I expect to discover.

He seems to have chosen a particular cat to befriend. I look forward to the day when he is lying down and one of more of the cats joins him, "And the lamb shall lie down with the lion."

The initial day he was a little hyper exploring his new environment and getting to know everyone. And seemed to want to be very reassuringly close to me where he got lots of petting. This morning he is relaxed and comfortable enough to just lie quietly by himself.

We went outside many times. At first I took him out on his lease but I soon set him free and he galloped up and down the snow packed road in great long lopping strides occasionally jumping into the snow in the ditch completely disappearing from view only to explode out and again and shake all the snow off. He is one happy dogI His first time he must have run a mile full out as he went back and forth across my 1/4 mile frontage on the road. He seemed to know where the boundaries are (wishfull thinking on my part.) I think he wanted to stay within view of me.

He had to learn to climb stairs. It took all day to encourage him but by the time I went to bed he got his courage up. The only time he barked was when my friend June grabed his collar and tried to pull him up. (June has control issues with animals). I put a quick end to that knowing he would come when he was ready. And he did!

I have spread his bed out in a corner of the kitchen but he chose to sleep on the rug beside my bed. He woke me up by climbing on the bed to lie along my back. Cute, but not a good habit. I think we have bonded!!! If he doesn't use his bed in the kitchen he may be giving it up to the cats.

He also had to learn to come into the shed (barn) where the bigger animals are. He now is willing to follow me in and wants to come with me every time I go to take care of things there. I don't think I am going to go anywhere without him wanting to come along.



I think Gage and I are going to have some great times together. I wonder if he will like canoeing?
I don't remember who; but, someone asked me what farrowing is. Well it is swine giving birth. My two sows will farrow in late January, early February. The gestation period for pigs is three months, three week, and three days. (Now I have told you more than you need to know unless you are on a trivia game show.)
Today, I will just enjoy the snow storm. It seems we are getting more of the storm than I expected. These days are beautiful and a good excuse not to join the crazy ones who think their business is more important than Mother Mature's, thinking they must go places in their cars and trucks.
I think I will go make a hot chocolate and feed Gage a few doggy treats.Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

At 10:39 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I'm enjoying the snow too. And you can dog-blog as much as you like. I think you two are going to be happy together.

 
At 1:25 a.m., Blogger Marvin said...

Nooooo! Keep us posted on Gage from time to time. It sounds as if he's fitting right in. That's great.

 
At 3:01 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

I'm sorry for your loss of Ben and glad that you've gotten another friend. I guess I can't agree with letting a dog run wild since they can get into all sorts of trouble and be easily killed (as poor Ben was).But, that is your choice. I would take off all those collars though, if I were you. Since you allow him to run loose, the collars can become very dangerous getting caught on anything. He could suffer miserably. Also, since that dog down the road has killed once (or perhaps more times than you know) it should be reported. And be prepared for him to go after Gage if the situation would arise. Good luck and take care with Gage! He seems like a great dog.

 
At 7:01 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh he is a nice dog. I see he is wearing a pinch collar in addition to his regular one. I hope this dog doesn't meet the same fate as the other one.

 
At 7:41 a.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I took off the fierce studded collar amd the pinch collar. They suited his former master with his Goth look and lots of piercings. I will get a more refined collar for Gage be befitting myself and him.
He still has his camouflage bandana to adore his neck. He certainly isn't any "commando dog",
but it has his name on it and seems to fancy himself in it.

 
At 8:16 a.m., Blogger lv2scpbk said...

Sounds like a wonderful dog. I used to have a border collie when I was younger and she used to sleep with the cats all the top. They always slept on top of her to keep her warm. She was a short haired border collie. I like reading your dog stories.

 
At 11:49 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I am catching up and what a great post about Gage. I think that you have indeed bonded and that you two will have many happy years together. I can just see him jumping into the ditch and exploding out of the snow. You are a very good writer and paint a picture with words.

Take care. I'm hoping to post on my Treasures to Me blog tomorrow.

Blessings,
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home