DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, December 14, 2007

A New Dog: An Adventure!

Meet "Gage" my new dog.




I have decided to bring this dog into my home and life, in spite of some reservations. He needs a home and my home and farm are well suited to him. But.!!! He is not as I imagined when I read he was part Gread Dane and part Doberman. I thought he would be more the former than the latter, which would have made him larger. I have never owned such a short haired muscular dog so this is new for me. I will have to protect him from the cold, which probably will mean I will have to go outside with him in the Winter. (A good way to resist "cabin fever"and get a little more exercise.
Initially, I was anxious he might be an agressive dog which needed a firm hand. (I am not a firm hand kind of guy) Or, he might have been one of those one person dogs. But neither is true. He is quiet and gentle and a little shy. (so they tell me) Tomorrow I will learn the reality for myself.
He is a big dog that will need to run and get exercise. That is no problem. He will have to learn about some farm animals. which at first will probably intimidate him.
He comes with some collars. leads, toys including a pillow to sleep on. He has been well cared for and dealt with gently.
I am told he is good in the house and manages to gracefully move about without upsetting things. I am told he will tolerate the two little lap dogs in the house that live with my friend David. He also will accept the dozen cats.
I am excited that we will get to learn about each other together and bond. Perhaps, he will learn to play the "toss the ball" game and next summer learn to enjoy the water in the river.
I am told he doesn't bark much and doesn't chase cars . Both good behaviours in my book.
I have had better luck living with animals than with people so I shouldn't be nervous . . . .but, I am a little.
Tomorrow I get to meet and embrace a new pal, the gentle giant I was looking for.Posted by Picasa

12 Comments:

At 11:18 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

Gage is a beautiful dog. You will both get to know each other and be great companions. Meeko is a large dog and needs a lot of exercise. He loves the cold and snow and really is a winter dog. He stays indoors more in the summer because he is a northern breed and dislikes the heat. Your dog will enjoy the summer more, I expect, but many dogs love to play in the snow.

I've found the trick to bonding with dogs is repetition. Once they "get it" they never forget.

Take care, Philip and all the best for you and your new canine friend.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 12:58 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

He does look like a muscular fellow who can take care of himself, which may be important considering the fate of the previous pooch.

 
At 2:51 a.m., Blogger Marvin said...

Good luck with your new dog. Gage looks like a fine animal. Protect him from your neighbor's pit bull.

 
At 7:40 a.m., Blogger J C said...

OMG I'm so sorry to read about Ben. How horrible. I hope, since poor Ben had been attacked previously, that your neighbor is sufficiently convinced that he has a vicious dog and will take steps to confine him to his own property. I think you and your new friend will get along fine. You need him right now. Losing a loved pet hurts.

 
At 10:13 a.m., Blogger Seldom Seen said...

Gage is a very handsom boy! I have had (and lost) two great danes, they were the most loving, loyal dogs. I don't know anything about dobermans but I do love great danes personalities. I have a feeling you and Gage will get along just fine. I have always thought that we don't choose our animals... somehow they find and choose us.

 
At 1:31 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Hi Philip
He a bonny dog for sure, and two good breeds of dog in there. I think most dog respond to the owners.. O.K. each breed as it's good and bad points.. but the owners are what matters in the end.
I look forward to seeing and reading more about him.

 
At 9:12 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--good for you, giving a new dog a home.
You should be fine with him--just remember, to him, you are the alpha dog. So whatever you allow, he will do.

 
At 9:58 p.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

He's beautiful and you are beautiful for giving him a good home.

 
At 8:14 a.m., Blogger lv2scpbk said...

Glad you found a new friend.

 
At 10:48 a.m., Blogger Neva said...

He sure is a handsome one!

 
At 4:03 a.m., Blogger Vinh Nguyen said...

Hello Gage and Gage's owner. We used to have Gage when we were in Laveen Arizona. When we had to move out of state of Arizona, we gave Gage to a lady who claimed that her son was desperately in need of companion. Ever since that time (September, 2006), we lost contact Gage. We miss him very much and have been trying to find him everyday until today we saw his pictures on this blog. You can always contact me at 253-856-0619 or email me at homecarellc@gmail.com. Thanks for reading my post.

 
At 1:40 p.m., Blogger Vinh Nguyen said...

Hello Gage and Gage's owner. We used to have Gage when we were in Laveen Arizona. When we had to move out of state of Arizona, we gave Gage to a lady who claimed that her son was desperately in need of companion. Ever since that time (September, 2006), we lost contact Gage. We miss him very much and have been trying to find him everyday until today we saw his pictures on this blog. You can always contact me at 253-856-0619 or email me at homecarellc@gmail.com. Thanks for reading my post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home