DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

HAPPY THANKSGIVING






To my family and friends in the United States. . . . .Happy Thanksgiving!

My years of living in New England and sharing fully in American culture, I have come to appreciate the significance of the Thanksgiving celebration for all of you. In New England, where the first Thanksgiving has its origins, real and mythic, I thought this holiday had more significance that Christmas as a family and cultural celebration.

Each year, I re-read the account of the celebration of the Pilgrims and natives of Cap Cod on those first couple of Thanksgiving feasts. I am always impressed with the role that Squanto and Massasoit played in those festivities. In reality they were a celebration of these men and the native community that through their generous efforts has helped the Pilgrims to survive in the harsh New England country (Winter's I believe were more severe than they are today.) If these native represent the native population of the new land it is worth reflecting how their friendship has been repayed over they years. It is a sad and terrifying history for which we should be all ashamed.

Here is a nice account of the first Thanksgiving, http://www.holidays.net/thanksgiving/pilgrims.htm

Some of my loveliest memories of my years in the US have been the Thanksgiving celebrations I have shared with friends. They were always wonderful family and friendship circles around the wonderful traditional foods. These occasions were created "sacred spaces" which were not often recognized but experience by all of us I am sure.

My thoughts and best wishes will be with you this Thanksgiving. I shall think of you celebration being with each other and over eating. Happy Thanksgiving y'all! , from you Canadian neighbour, eh!

2 Comments:

At 9:50 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Thank you Philip! Maybe one Thanksgiving you can come join us here on the homestead.

 
At 5:39 p.m., Blogger Veronica said...

Dearest Philip, Have a happy American Thanksgiving. Blessings, Veronica

 

Post a Comment

<< Home