DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Roadside Scenes




















I love the passing scenes along the road. There is always something interesting in the details, if you care to look. Luckily, we have little traffic here or I would have had many accidents by now. I have a bad habit of watching the ditches for local flora and fauna and looking out at the changing vistas. The Autumn of the year is particularly interesting with the many changes in plant life and the greater visibility for creatures, large and small on the move.


This picture is one of contrast between the yellow Tamarack and the dark black spruce. While the Tamarack, or Larch, has needles and looks like an evergreen, it is not. It drops its needles after they turn this lovely colour.

The black spruce bog is on the edge of town. I have picked Labrador tea there, a native herb which grows in abundance among the moss.




















The same day , Veronica and I stopped and she took this typical picture of lichen and moss covered rock out of which trees seem to find a way to grow. The colours, creatures and contrasts in the detail are endlessly fascinating. Have you ever seen the intricacies of moss and lichen up close? Beautiful.



















What a difference a week makes. We caught the edge of the significant storm that passed through the North Eastern United States and South Eastern Canada. We were to get 20cm (8") but we only got about 10cm of very wet snow. We did get some strong winds causing our electricity to fail for about 4 hours. Good weather to be snowed in with a friend. If the snow had been dry even this small amount would drift to considerable depths in places.


We often get just the edges of storms here. as the track either North of South of us depending whether they move from West to East across Lake Superior of Lake Huron. The worst weather comes out of the Mid-western US which bring moist air that meets the cold northern are aloong a front, as this last storm did.

Well it did not last long. Today, after a couple of days of warm weather the snow is all gone and we are back in the mud. We had our foretaste of Winter weather which allowed us to check out our Winter survival strategies before the real Winter arrives in a month or so.


Note: I am still wrestling with the new and "improved" blogger beta program. Some glitches have been solved. I still would not recommend anyone shifting to it yet. I still cannot "blog this" from my picasa photo storing program. When I try either as a draft or to publish all is lost to wherever things go in the cyberspace lost and found. Twice since my last posting I have tried to publish a new post and lost it. This is so frustrating I avoid trying for a couple of days. There are lots of things to do around here that bring more immediate rewards of satisfaction and completion.

1 Comments:

At 6:44 a.m., Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hi Philip! Thank you so much for your email...what a lovely surprise!! I'm glad that you like my blog...I know, I DO have too much time on my hands some days! lol When you mentioned River Valley, that brought back a lot of memories because that's where my dad use to go moose hunting all the time. I've passed by River Valley many times and I can never get over how beautiful the landscape is there. I've enjoyed reading some of your posts and getting to know you a bit...yes, Peggy certainly is a wonderful lady:-) Wishing you a lovely day and stay warm!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home