DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Life Around the Woodbox

Yes, it is another picture of my L'Islet wood cookstove.
We have had a love affair for the 25 years I have enjoyed her company. (A longer relationship which has kept me warm and filled my nostrils with lovely smells more than any female company that has come my way.) It only failed me once when it set my house on fire and burned up my back wall and destroyed my roof. Thanks to insurance, all is repaired and all is forgiven.

The season is beginning when life will hinge around keeping the stove going. There was a time I slept on a cot in the kitchen all Winter so I could keep it stoked with wood. I gave up on that a number of years ago to enjoy my bedroom and sleeping under my down filled counterpane. To be truthful a lady friend got me off my cot and out of the kitchen. I installed electric heaters so I would not have to get out of bed to a chilly room. Not very rugged I know. We all make accomadations in Life.






See the scrappy wood by the stove. "V" before she left for warmer climes wanted to contain the mess from wood piled by the stove. A new woodbox was the order of the day.






And here it is: a new woodbox knocked together out of scrap wood. Rustic, don't you think.? I used to have one a few years ago that was not as lovely.





I even put a lid on this one. It is to the left of the stove across from the entrance to the basement which will be the route to fetch wood to keep it filled.

From my position by the woodbox I can keep the stove fed, watch things cooking on her and glance out the window toward the barn. Did I mention the washroom is just to the left.

I suspect the top of the woodbox will find many uses. A place to set my coffee, a perch for a cat or two, a surface to dry a few damp clothes, etc.

From now until the end of April, life in my home will center around the woodbox. I am ready. . . .Bring on the Winter weather!

1 Comments:

At 3:46 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Love the woodbox and I will be keeping my woodstove company along side my woodrack. Will have to add a woodbox to my want list! I am so ready for cold winter weather but alas she just keeps teasing me before letting the 70 degree weather come back and warm things up.
Peggy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home