DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Bon Voyage, Julie


It is with great anticipation that Canadians have been waiting for the space shuttle to fly again. (This Endeavour mission has been delayed four times already but just may go tonight.)
It has been even more news worthy here than in the US; in part because of Julie Payette one of Canada remarkable astronauts. On this trip to to the Space station Canada will have two astronauts together in the Space station for the first time as she joins Bob Thirsk who is already in there where he will be for a longer period of time conducting medical experiments.

Julie Payette is the Flight Engineer on this mission. Her role is crucial to the success of this construction mission for she will largely be in charge of the construction. She will operate the Canadarm robotic cranes (Canada's greatest contribution to the space station, without which it could not be built). She also will operate another one supplied by Japan, which I assume is to be used to install the outside platform for experiments Japan has created. She will manage the astronauts that will be outside the Space Station doing the construction work. The last time she was at the Space Station, (she was on the Discovery, the first crew to visit the station) she had a similar role which she describes in the video below.

You can read her daily journal entries here, http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/missions/sts-127/journal_today.asp

Julie Payette is a remarkable Renaissance woman. Her accomplishments are numerable. She is not only an engineer but a pilot, athlete, singer, musician, linguist, mother as well as an astronaut for many years. Read her NASA Biography and marvel at her accomplishments.

View this video and hear her speak in her own words of some of the things of the Space Program she finds interesting. I particularly like her saying what she found most surprising on her first mission.





In this video, I find Julie Payette's observations of the Earth from space. Not only is it spectacular to see as a unity but she marvels at how fragile it is, protected with a thin layer of atmosphere.





Besides her many accomplishments, Julie Payette is also charming and attractive and soft spoken with a French Canadian lilt in her voice. When she speaks she is reflective and the delight she feels for her career as an astronaut is evident. What a wonderful role model she is for young women who harbour dreams of accomplishments in life. If you have the time, it is well worth while to take the time, to watch the video of her address to the students at Simon Fraser University.

Even beautiful women with big hair can be intellectually brilliant, accomplished and focused in there lives. (I just couldn't resist this sexist comment. It is hard to overcome your upbringing)

Continued success, Madame Julie Payette, you make all Canadians proud.

8 Comments:

At 10:41 a.m., Blogger possum said...

Cool... Many of us take it all so for granted, especially here on the shore where we drive past NASA everyday... It is just another job for so many that we lose sight of what the experience must be like for those brave souls who actually GO there.
Periodically we hear the rumble of a launching. Most of us still glance up into the sky to see the vapor trail, but we take it all so for granted. Of course, SOME OF US are old enough to remember Sputnik and the shock of it all and sitting out in lawn chairs at night watching for that tiny bit of light to cross the sky. LOL!
We've come a long way.
And now when I am travelling anywhere and I turn on my GPS and I have to wait while it "aquires satellite" I am still amazed. But I am old.

 
At 9:46 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

I have always been in awe of space travel... growing up in the 60's I suppose I would be... I also think that all these folks are so brave... I wish them all well and hope that the moon is visited again soon.. It would be good news on the TV seeing another moon landing and walk... it would also get many more youngsters being interested.. Great post as always.
Tom
My postings today are Tree Views and some Flowers And A Poem

 
At 10:45 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

This is a beautiful tribute to Julie Payette. I have not heard if the space shuttle was able to lift off. I guess I'm behind on the news.

I don't go to concerts often, but did enjoy Charlie Pride. The last person I saw before that was a Patsy Cline impersonator (my mother wanted to go) and she was very good. I saw Roy Orbison not long before he died and that was awesome.

I need to catch up on some of your other posts. I wonder what is Down by the Riverside.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 3:33 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

It must be an awesome thing to go into space and see such wonders as they see. To be able to look and see the Earth! How exciting that would be!

A beautiful woman with big hair!! LOL She should make all Canadians proud. She is a remarkable woman and I wish them every success!

I enjoyed your previous post about the cabin. It looks so peaceful there by the river, and how great to go swimming to cool off when you want to!

 
At 11:38 a.m., Blogger Janet said...

What a marvelous person she is! Of course, she makes me feel like a lazy slob, and I generally don't qualify as such.

 
At 11:47 a.m., Blogger Janet said...

In scanning prior posts, I was sorry to learn about Dave - what's his condition now?
The kids enjoyed the pictures of Heidi and Black Cat.

 
At 9:01 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I'm sure she wouldn't mind your very tame "sexist comment" after all the kudos you sent her way.
Yes, you Canadians have a lot to be proud of with her.

 
At 12:09 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Such a historic time! You do have much to be proud of!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home