DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Canada Day!

This is Canada's 142 year.


This video I thought was a cute celebrations of things Canadian, appropriate for today. I love the line about if you want to become a Canadian the first two things you must do is "Give up your gun , , , buy a canoe."





Below is an instrumental version of "O, Canada" with the lyrics in English and French printed on it. Over the years the lyrics have been dickered with. Over all I like the lyrics as being modest and celebratory of our vast country. I like that it is not filled with militaristic and nationalist references as so many National Anthems are.

At first I considered a rendition by Celine Dion. She began fine at first with respectful modest tones but later soared with lots of vocal coloration as only Celine can do. This might be appropriate in the land of "with bombs bursting in air",but it is too over the top for we more modest Canadians.





It is interesting to know that "O Canada", both the tune and the lyric were created by French Canadians. Here is it's history. http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/anthem-eng.cfm#a2


Canada's youngest region is Nunivut, the vast Arctic region of the Inuit people (this is redundant as Inuit means "the people"). Inuktitut is one of the official languages and spoken widely among the Inuit.

Below is a version of " O Canada" with the lyrics in Inuktitut in both the Latin alphabet and syllabics.







I trust everyone will have a wonderful Canada Day. It is good to live in such a beautiful country and be part of a Nation which has become so well respected in the World. By most international measure Canada is one of the best and most progressive countries in the World.

In our history, we have steadily improved as a country. We need to continue to hold ourselves to a high standard for there are many more improvements which need to be made.

May we always be to the "True North strong and free".

6 Comments:

At 7:21 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

Lovely post about our country!

It doesn't look as if the weather will be great for celebrating but that probably won't stop most people anyway.I don't like fireworks because they terrify the wildlife and our dogs so I'll be happy if it rains!!

 
At 9:07 a.m., Blogger KGMom said...

HAPPY CANADA DAY--to my Canadian friends and family.
The U.S. is most fortunate to have such a wonderful neighbour (note the "our" in honour of Canada Day.)

 
At 11:57 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

Happy Canada Day to you, Philip. Enjoyed the first video and you are right, Celine doesn't do our National Anthem justice. She is over-elaborate.

Canada is a great country in which to live. There was a piece in the Globe and Mail today that said in order to be TRUE Canadian, you have to have been in a canoe and seen a moose. The emblems that were high priority were Mounties and the maple leaf flag.

Happy Canada Day, my friend.
Blessings,
Mary

 
At 5:52 p.m., Blogger amelia said...

Hi Philip, I can't swim right now because of the hip although we are on the lake. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Also there are too many mosquito's for my liking!!

 
At 4:22 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm late but I hope you had a wonderful day!
Thanks for sharing the videos. I love to see pride and show and I see that here.

 
At 6:12 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

I've learned so much about Canada from your blog. Thank you and I'm happy that you are our neighbor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home