DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, July 03, 2009

Remembering

Am I the only person who is tired of all the obsessive news about Michael Jackson? His death is a family tragedy and would be better left to the family. His contribution to popular music warrants being admired by his fans ( among whom I am not included). All the other public praise he is getting is way over the top. He is being praised as a great talent, human being, humanitarian, businessman etc. Really. . . .! CNN seems to have given over all its program schedule to him. FOX is almost as bad but they cannot seem to let go of their need to criticize Obama, for very long. Embarassingly, even the CBC and CTV and even the BBC seem to dwell too long on this faux news.

I am afraid I only think of him as a sad human being, worthy of our pity, who had a difficult childhood and became an adult who was uncomfortable in his own skin. He was a pathetic injured soul. He was certainly no humanitarian. He was self indulgent often creating a World only he seemed to inhabit. I doubt if he had any real friends among the hangers-on and "yes" men who surrounded him. As for being a businessman, it seems dying owing nearly 1/2 a billion dollars qualifies him as such?

The truth is that Michael Jackson was a drug addict and a pedophile. Twenty years from now maybe one of his children will write a tell all book as to what kind of a parent he was.

As a person he deserves to be forgotten.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On the other hand, today in Canada, there is a state funeral for a remarkable Canadian. Roméo LeBlanc (1927-2009). He was a public servant who entered politics for all the right reasons and made a significant contribution. He became a politician and served as a cabinet minister for years. Eventually, he became our first Governor General (Queen's representative) of Acadian heritage. He is a French Canadian from the Acadian community in New Brunswick. (Not all French Canadians are Québécois. The Acadian French spoken there is "Chiac".

He was raised in the very rural subsitance farm life of that community. In L'Acadie, of his youth his community lived close to the land, fishing, farming and forestry.
He was one of the few of his generation who got a higher education to become a teacher, journalist, and politician. http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/06/24/romeo-leblanc-1927-2009/

He remained a humble man rooted in his community all his life. He served his family, community and Nation with distinction. Not only was he successful in his profession, he was a successful as a human being.

I heard a friend of his relate a story about him. One of his brother's died years ago. He gave his sister-in-law half of his modest salary so she could pay the medical bills. I wonder who we know now who would do such a thing.

I invite you to read a little about the remarkable life of Roméo LeBlanc, a much respected and cherished Canadian and Acadian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rom%C3%A9o_LeBlanc

Today, the powerful of the country and humble admirers of his community have gathered for a state funeral at Saint Thomas Church in his town on Memramcook, New Brunswick. He will long be remembers as a remarkable Canadian man and public servant.

4 Comments:

At 11:32 a.m., Blogger Casey said...

I watched as much of the coverage this morning that I could, before I had to leave for work. I am so glad you posted about this fine man.

I remember being absolutely in love with the man. He is a true Canadian, and a true hero.

Rest in peace Romeo Leblanc...and blessings and prayers for your family and friends.

Laurie

 
At 12:06 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

First of all Philip I'm sorry I missed wishing you a happy Canada Day... then again I wish you a good day, every day my friend. As for M. Jackson.. I agree with all you say.. far to much time being given to this sad man.
I will try to find the time to read through the link about Romeo LeBlanc.. I might learn someting..

Have a great weekend catch up again soon
Tom

 
At 1:55 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

I agree with you about Michael Jackson. With all his money he couldn't buy happyness. So sad.

 
At 8:37 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--oh yes, I am totally sick of the ad nauseum never-ending coverage of Michael Jackson. I shout at the TV--he was a pedophile. He is suddenly being elevated to sainthood. I am mystified by it.
I had not heard of Romeo LeBlanc, but thanks for reminding us that others more deserving have also died recently, and helping me to not obsess over the absurd coverage of a loser in life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home