DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Attachment to Things

I like to think I am not very attached to "things". My most prize possessions are my canoe and the gold medal I won at University. (It is the one thing I asked my wife to return when we divorced. She graciously did.) And, I love an old pair of moccasins. (more later).

I have had my classique "Prospector " canvas cedar strip canoe since I was 17. I worked half a summer to pay for it( $150) and spent the other half alone with it in Muskoka lake district. Ever since I have managed to enjoy it although it is now in serious need of repair and recanvasing. (Such canoes now sell for well over $150 a foot, as they are still largely hand crafted. That is almost my complete list. Although I do still mourn the loss of my wedding ring and my buck hunting knife (6 inch blade, black handle and scabbard.), at the hand of a thief who lived in my house at the time.

When my house caught fire and burned the roof off I went back into the burning house to grab my gold medal and the box of family photos. I guess that says a lot.

I have always enjoyed footwear, although I do not own many pairs. For years I wore only Wellington Boots with a side zipper that I cherished. (Before this I actually owned a pair of white bucks which I fussed with (How is that for revealing my age.) So cool!

Well , recently my friend Denis brought me back a pair of Mukluks http://www.mukluks.com/ made by a woman on the Webecque Reserve in Northern Ontario, not far from where he is working. I always fancied having a pair but I have always found them expensive and I am cheap.
( Only two things I don't mind spending money on are a book and an excellent restaurant meal) I also had wanted mukluks handcrafted and not commercially manufactured. I expect these mukluks will become a prized possession.



















My new mukluks. They are made of soft deer skin. I will have to save them for special occasions. I expect when it is very cold outside they will work fine with only a pair of socks inside.


















Here are my beloved moccasins. These are made of tough moose hide and have a double moose hide sole. I wore these Summer and Winter for about 30 years. They were perfect to canoe in and they were warm in the Winter as long as it was cold enough to stay dry. These are called Quoddy (Named after the Maine Natives, the Passamaquoddy) moccasins which I bought in Freeport, Maine. (They cost $50. An outrageous sum for me back then.) I would like to get another pair but they are now around $180. Here comes that line again about me being cheap. I am cheap BUT I do accept gifts:) . Size 8 . I have spend many wonderful hours in these moccasins but sadly they are worn out unless I can find someone capable of putting another sole of moosehide on them.



Here is what a virgin Quoddy Moccasin looks like before it is loved.
What are your most cherished possessions.
Posted by Picasa

15 Comments:

At 10:13 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Goodness, I don't know how to answer your question. I'm not sure what I prize, if anything. Sometimes, however, these things reveal themselves to me slowly, so maybe I'll come up with something.

 
At 3:27 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

If there were a fire I would run in and grab my bible which use to be my moms, family photos and ms fran's painting and her urn. Other than those things it would just be the goats. But if I had a pair of those mukluks I could imagine them being at the top of the list. LOL

 
At 10:46 p.m., Blogger Rosie said...

I'm a bit covetous of those mukluks. And I like those mocs too. I had to say goodbye to a cherished pair of shoes today. It was past time. They were my fourth pair and they discontinued them so I can't get replacements.

You know, Phil, those mocs don't look terribly difficult to make. If you take the picture and your old pair into a leather/cobblers shop they'd be pretty easy to knock off.

 
At 1:35 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

I'm sorry I haven't visited for quite a while. I do love catching up on your blog though. Runt looks great and I was happy to see him alive and chowing down! (I'm always afraid I'll visit some time and see him being served for dinner! Ugh.) The new pup is extremely sweet - awww. I love to have him here.

I had read about the Canadian government apology. It seems as if nearly every Western type of country feels a big need to "civilize" indigenous peoples. I hate to say it but religion always seems to be behind these hateful policies. No matter what country you are talking about.

And I loved your footwear post! What does the word mukluk mean? They do look warm and comfy. I'm sure you'll be enjoying them for years. And I don't mind spending money on books, CDs, and video games!

 
At 3:45 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

If my house was on fire then I like you would go for my treasures... a work badge given to my dad for long service in a mill. My Granddads Medels, Letters and nots my mum left on the table if she wasnot there when we got home. certain cards and tokens of love from Jane and the boys.
I would make for the box they are in...
now then I followed the links and I came up with the foot wear I would hanker for... ha! The Boots Tobacco Bison, Deerskin Lining, Handsewn Wrap.. over $200... They look stunning. I tend to wear work boots a lot of the time... always have.. I walk in workboots to. If you are lucky enough to get a great fitting pair then it's a joy in the morning to put them on.

I really like your post today... if I win the lottery this week I will buy both of us a selection of each pair Philip...

 
At 6:26 a.m., Blogger amelia said...

I would save my dogs and cockateil, nothing else matters!

Seeing you speak of good restaurant food, is there any place around you or me that is not a greasy spoon? So far we have only found Pizza Hut but I'd love more places if you have found any!!

 
At 11:13 a.m., Blogger Janet said...

By the time we got the kids and the animals out I expect there wouldn't be much time for anything else. But I would definitely try to salvage the pictures, and possibly computer, since all our kids' pictures are digital!
I have some things that are prized because they belonged to family members (especially my father, who died when I was 3), handknitted items from my mother and grandmother, that sort of thing. I have a number of things in a fireproof lock box. My mother and stepfather were burglarized several years ago and the thieves made off with most of her jewelry, including her engagement ring from my father, which was supposed to come to me. (Apparently I had lost the wedding ring many years ago when I was playing with it outside. Goodness knows why I had it to begin with!)

 
At 1:09 p.m., Blogger Deborah Wilson said...

Most treasured possessions...hmmm.. that's an easy few, my photographs and a few little things that belongs to my children and grandchildren, and my rabbit.

It doesn't get cold enough down south for a pair of boots like the mukluks, the only boots that I own is a pair of light weight hiking boots.

However, the Quoddy's look like some fine mocs, I will have to check them out, I'd like to have a pair of them. If anyone wants to domate, I wear women's 5 1/2.

lol

 
At 5:07 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I love your old moccasins. It's not hard to put another sole on them. The problem would be getting the moose hide. At least for me it would. I know these are most comfortable and warm too. Try to find someone to resole them for your. They are a treasure.

I don't treasure many possessions, but there are a few. Mostly things that Grandma gave to me. I still have most of them. She didn't give us gifts often, so when she did they were treasures. My aunt who has the bone cancer gave me a beautiful music box for my 50th and I treasure that as well. Other than that, things the boys have given me and the family photos.

Sorry it's been so long since I dropped by. The renovations are running us ragged and it will probably take us to August 1st to get it all done. Hopefully we can rent it out at that time.

Take care. I miss visiting with you.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 8:09 p.m., Blogger Ginnie said...

You asked what are my "favorite possessions" so that would leave out my three children...since I don't own them....
My actual favorite possession is my sobriety. Material things mean nothing compared to that.

 
At 9:29 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

It'd be tough, but I guess I'd probably think of snatching the important papers first of all, then photos, an old pitcher of my parents. I have many pairs of shoes but some I'm more partial to than others.

I'll bet those mukluks are warm!!

 
At 7:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the term,
*this is how they look before they are loved*
:o)
I can't believe what we get attached to. My husband always makes fun of me becasue I have my mums first rolling pin she ever bought back in early 1950's. He calls it my heirloom and I think I would definitely run back into a burning house to save it.
Loving the fury boots Philip!

 
At 1:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've loved those dear shoes nearly to death. LOL. I do the same thing.

 
At 4:33 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Philip--the only thing you didn't tell us was your moccasin size (in case any reader was feeling generous).
I have my students write a paper--if my house were on fire what one thing would I save. I always get interesting answers.

 
At 9:31 a.m., Blogger Synchronicity said...

oh i do like your shoes...nice to see a man who loves footwear too! what is nice nowadays is that you can store photos on the computer and on sites so that they will never be lost. but there is nothing like the tangible photo you can hold in your hands. i have had photos and sentimental belongings burn up in a fire so...that is the most heartbreaking thing. but you move on to create new memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home