DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

"Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me a Match . . ."

Last year when I was hoping my two sows would get bred, I sent them off to Club Porcine for a couple of weeks of fun and rooting up the earth. It worked for they came back pregnant after brief encounters with a hefty boar. Three months, three weeks and three days later they delivered 29 piglets.



















This year I invited, Nuts, the boar over to our place for a couple of weeks. I guess I am the Matchmaker but I feel more like the pimp.



















His arrival was not without incident. Ruby, the Duroc, tested him to see if he had the right stuff.
You can see the tusk scratch marks on his neck. This may also have been Ruby's was of say, "Don't get any bright ideas, I will not stand for it!" (I love this expression. When I was a child we had a neighbour lady, with many children who used to always shout her disapproval, "I will not stand for it." I later learned the barnyard orgins of the phrase) Ruby was in no mood. Well moods change! I am counting on it.



















Here you can see Ruby and Babe, who has been getting her figure back after nursing 14 young piglets, who are now getting quite big. Is that the Runt in the middle?





Nuts, the Boar seems more interested in Ruby. Is he following her to risk another fight in hopes her mood has changed? Or maybe just to cuddle and make up.
Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

At 4:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Philip I am such a dizzy girl! I read your first line as "I was hoping my two SONS would get bred" and I thought, My Goodness! Of course, once I washed my specs and focused my eyes I felt happier. :o)
These are great pics! I love that the runt is muscling in on "pig life" He must have felt as though the company of Gage and beer drnking isn't all there is to life. The boar is a typical male ;o) No doubt his insistance will wear the girl down in the end! :o)

 
At 1:29 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

I believe now that you are a very "posh" person ! sending your pig ladies on vacation in a club !! Sounds very good ! I really enjoy your piggy stories, they make me laugh and sometimes it's good to read something funny !

 
At 2:32 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

What fine pig pictures you have. I like hearing about them and Runt especially. The boar does seem like a persistant chap! I'm sure he'll have his "piggy way" eventually! and you'll be a gramp pa again!

 
At 6:04 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Now that you are a pimp daddy you will have to dress the part. LOL Love reading about your animals and whats happening on the farm

 
At 1:48 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

I had to laugh at the 'Pimp' comment... P.P.P. Philip the Pig Pimp I'll be calling you now.. I hope that love blossoms and all goes well.

 
At 2:11 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

Too funny. Although the idea of 29 piglets between 2 moms made me feel quite lightheaded.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home