DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Dave's Garden

Last year I offered to make Dave a raised garden he could tend while standing or from sitting in his walker.

Well, I finished it this weekend. It is not a sight of beauty but it suits his needs and is very functional. Besides, it cost me no money. I put together some weathered logs and filled it with soil from my property. There are several levels, rough gravel subsoil on the bottom, covered with clay loam, then a layer for fresh manure and finally a good six inches of old manure which had composted into soil.



















The garden has the added advantage that a wayward pig cannot ravage it when your back is turned.






















Dave began planting. Along the front edge he has planted a row of Kennebec potatoes. At the far end , if you look carefully, he has planted two red tomato plants and two yellow ones. Also he has put in four cabbage plants and four broccoli. He has just begun on the onions both Dutch and Spanish. You can never have enough onions. It is a beginning. He will continue to plant other things until it is all planted. Come the Fall it will be overflowing with produce.



Here is Dave resting and admiring his handy work. Dave is not very expressive but I think he is enjoying his garden and will do so over the summer.
What doesn't show in the photo is the cloud of blackflies. Dave spent most of the day outside and came in with his face well bitten by the little black devils. There are days when you have to be tough to live here. Dave is an old timer and knows about and enjoys the difficulties with the delights.
Posted by Picasa

13 Comments:

At 10:17 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

I'm sure David will get his rewards for all the work he as dione... and you will of course. I should think it is hard at times for David to keep busy, I know when I'm not well enough to get around much it is very annoying.. Tell him I said hello.

 
At 11:13 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the garden looks wonderful, and I hope your friend gets hours of enjoyment and some really great foods too! You are a good pal.

Laurie

 
At 11:41 a.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I'm glad you made this garden for Dave. I'm sure at times he gets very bored. This will keep him busy all summer long and then everyone can enjoy the fruits of his labor during the long winter months. Be sure to take a few photos as it grows so we can see how its doing.

Thanks so much for your birthday wishes for Brandon. He will read them later today.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 3:59 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Philip this is amazing and I bet Dave thinks it is beautiful! I can't wait to see more pictures when it is brim full of produce shoots and wot-not! :o)

 
At 7:01 p.m., Blogger MamaHen said...

Hey, that's a nice looking raised bed! Dave should be able to cram lots of plants into that! Very nice.

 
At 10:49 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

I'll bet it will be overflowing with produce!! That sounds and looks like some really GOOD soil for growing!!

Those flies sound awful.

 
At 1:54 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

I think it is very beautiful indeed, because it is a work of love and consideration for Dave.

 
At 7:02 p.m., Blogger Loretta said...

What a sweet thing for you to do for him. You are a good friend, I know he appreciates it. I have a small garden but don't know for how long.lol I saw where Daddy, Momma and baby dear walked through it Monday night. They are probley waiting for it to grow before eating it all.

loretta

 
At 11:22 p.m., Blogger Ron said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:35 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

That's a wonderful garden you made there !! And it allows him to still work in it. Very very kind of you !!

 
At 9:11 a.m., Blogger possum said...

A great act of kindness! And pig proof! Good for you! Good for Dave!
The potatoes have blossoms on them here and so do a few tomato plants. The peas are up about 8 inches. Had to replant the Italian flat beans and pole beans.
Best of luck with your wonderful gift of a garden for Dave!

 
At 12:57 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Hi Philip
Called back to say I laughed at your comment on my clover post... I think you were the only one to pick up on that song.. all the best my friend
Tom

 
At 4:35 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

You are such a good friend to Dave. That garden will keep a smile on his face and something to look forward to each day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home