DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Chicks and More Chicks

I picked up my order of chicks about a week ago. Forty in all. (A couple of more than that as they always give you extra in case one dies in shipping.)



















I put the little prisoners in a rabbit cage, temporarily , in the spare bedroom. It is nice to wake up to the churping of chicks. I knew this arrangement wouldn't last long. They grow like topsy.

I once raised 100 chicks using an empty bedroom. You can do this lind of thing when you have no wife to complain. By the time, the got feathers and I finished building the hen house, the noise was quite loud and they were getting the house very dusty. This was the beginning of my son's egg business, "Parker's Poultry.".



















I built them a 10 foot long cage with one end enclosed with the heat lanp. they are now in the basement. This housing will allow them to grow until the get feathers and I can put them outside in yet another housing arrangement. I am going to built I mobile kind of housing that can be moved around on the pasture so they may free range some food.


















Aren't they cute! Don't get too attached, they are food. They are all cockerels of a meat variety,
I am raising them for my friend Denis. I just hope he is home from his job drilling for mineral riches in the North to slaughter them. (I am not very good at this. it is hard to get the tender hearted suburban boy out of your system.)

In the mean time, I get to enjoy the birds and watch them grow.

8 Comments:

At 7:21 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess I'm a suburban boy too because I don't think anyone should take any killing lightly. Sometimes I even feel badly for mosquitoes. But not badly enough not to seek vengeance.

 
At 11:35 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

If you continue to show such cute pictures of animal babies and call them food I will become vegetarian !!

 
At 11:15 a.m., Blogger Rachel said...

I have to agree with anvilcloud!!

Little chickens are so cute. We always called them "little doodlers." I'm glad you will enjoy them and hearing them chirp would be great!!

 
At 2:01 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

They are too adorable!

 
At 11:32 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

Your chicks are so sweet, but they do grow up. The ones they got at the farm during the winter have gone to slaughter long ago. I hope your friend is home so he can slaughter them. I have done that many times in my life, but no more if I can help it. It's a messy business.

If you have time drop by and scroll down to Friday's post. I had a wildlife surprise for all of my visitors.

Hope you are having some nice weather. We had severe thunderstorms last night and then a downpour of rain this afternoon, but it didn't last long. It really was a nice spring day.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 4:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bittersweet Philip. I'm a softie and I do see that trait in you too but of course we all have to live our own lives. No doubt those chicks will enjoy their life... I bet you talk to them and fuss them!

 
At 1:46 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

This takes me back to vewry early in my life, dad kept chicken for the table aswell as eggs.. I recall him coming home with a tray covered in mesh and inside were a load of chicks. I remember the colours and the sound. Dad never ever ate chicken but we did.

 
At 2:09 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

Thank you for the warning. I'll know not to look at any of the chicken pictures from now on. I'm already attached! Too, too cute. Actually I think if more of us had to kill what we eat, we'd be much more thoughtful about it and not so wasteful. I, of course, would have to become vegetarian, because I am too squeamish to do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home