DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Five More Years . . . . . .and More!

What can you say about the United States wars of agression that hasn't already been said. They have been a colossal waste, achieving very little and laying waste nations which where not an immanent threat to the United States.

The aggressive war against Iraq has from the beginning has been a war crime. According to the principle of international law established at Nuremberg after WWII , aggressive war is the worst of all war crimes. These international laws are an integral part of American law. The Bush Administration officials are war criminals who should be tried and punished, if not by the American government, by an International Court. All the fancy and shifting reasons for the war can not gloss over this hard fact.

The statistics tell the tale. I ask only that individuals review them; and, then try to say the war was necessary and worth the loss of human life and treasure, for the United States and Iraq. http://usliberals.about.com/od/homelandsecurit1/a/IraqNumbers.htm
It seems all will continue for years to come, until Iraq is a wasteland and the Americans control Iraqi oil reserves or until the cost seriously economically ruins the United States.

These wars may just be the beginning as unbelieveable as that might seem. Plans continue to be carried out for the United States to begin a war against Iran. This may be the last piece of the Bush legacy. If you think this is not possible I invite you to read the March 20 blog entry in Dr Juan Cole's, Informed Comment, http://juancole.com/. It is a guest piece by historial William R. Polk which lays out the preparations for war against Iran.

Sadly, not even the Democratic aspirants to the Presidency is willing to take war against Iran, "off the table."

Stay tuned.


* * * * * * * * * * * * *

I am amused at the concern shown over the sermon rantings of the former minister of Barack Obama's church. Harsh social criticism of the reality of racism and class distinction in the US is nothing new and not worthy of upset. I think Barack Obama skillfully answered his critics.

It is ironic, perhaps even racist, to examine the religious ideas in this black church while virtually nothing is said about the Christians White Evangelicals who support President Bush, who claims God speaks directly to him. Some of these fundementalists are dangerous and have had an undue influence on the Bush administration. Some are Rapturists, they believe in the coming of Armageddon and the Rapture. War and chaos is a welcome and even encouraged sign of their eschatological vision. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture_%28Protestant_belief%29 These Christian Taliban can be dangerous and have had the ear of George Bush and now John McCain. http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/10052007/profile.html The United States was set up as a secular state with the idea of the separation of church and state. It is time people reaffirmed this idea.

I just read an article on Hilary Clinton's dubious religious fundementalist connections. She would be wise not to join those who criticize Barack Obama. It is interesting reading http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/03/20/7798/

5 Comments:

At 9:20 a.m., Blogger Tom said...

The last two posts have made interesting reading Phillip.. you know now I tend to keep away from such stuff such as this.. It is not that I don't care or anything like that its just I never have fully understood the inner working of any government.
That dose not say I do not read what you put.. I do and I find it of interest.
Anyhow I called by to see how you were getting on, and to thank you for the visits and comments this week. I have had a busy week and missed out on some blogs. I had a trip up to th hospital this week which as not been good news.. I have beeb given yet another tablet to lower my blood pressure.. and if it sdose not do the trick in a month they will double its stregnth. I'm already on full strenght different tablets. The trouble is part of my illness is coping with the stuff I have to take each day. I also need to spend some time in another hospital while somemore tests are done. ..
It's a pain in the butt, but it needs to be done... I'd rather be out with my camera taking pictures of the wild life.
Tom

 
At 11:04 a.m., Blogger thailandchani said...

Very interesting thoughts. You don't know me well enough to know that I don't get involved in US politics. The reason is that I no longer believe it can be changed. In a country and a culture that values business over people, only those who ultimately support that objective will ever get into a position of power.

What I hope.. is that somehow the US's foreign policy will become less aggressive - for the sake of the rest of the world.

 
At 11:19 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

It's unbelievable but true there are still people here in blogworld who are Republicans and FOR the war in Irak they babble about "freedom" which they have to defend and that they saved the poor Irakies and brought them "freedom" ??? I don't know but I am sure the people in Irak prefer to stay alive then "free" !
BTW you gave me an idea to write about our funny government ! Today the new Prime Minister was officially designed by the King. 67 % of the population already think that after two months he will be kicked out. Politicians in this country are more funny than a comedy !

 
At 8:46 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

These are indeed interesting times.
The one huge concern I have--that Obama and Clinton will so bloody each other that the US gets another Republican president.
We can't survive that, so I am most concerned.

 
At 1:06 p.m., Blogger Janet said...

I agree with you Philip. I said from the beginning that this war was a ploy by the Shrub to try to finish what his father started and get Saddam Hussein. It had nothing to do with terrorists or weapons of mass destruction. And I have been called unpatriotic for saying the war was a bad thing. But now, 5 unbelievable years later, many more people are jumping on the tiny little bandwagon some of us started, as if they had never supported the war in the first place. They say, "We have to support the men and women in the military." I say the best way to support them is to bring them home now and alive. But after 4,000 deaths - and that's just the Americans, the Iraqi civilian deaths number in the 10,000s - they are so firmly entrenched in making those deaths mean something that I don't know if they'll ever get us out.
I agree with kgmom - I hope that Clinton and Obama can stop squabbling so we don't elect McCain by default. If the self-proclaimed "born-again Christian" can wreak such havoc (and besides the war there is the environmental, economic, and educational destruction the Shrub has visited upon the nation), then I'd rather have anyone but a Christian at the helm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home