DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

-40C and Rising


If you love weather, where I live in the perfect place. It the temperate zone the changes in climate is a daily thing. I have a friend in Venezuela and when I see the BBC give the temperatures around the world every evening, Caracas is always the same 31C. They actually have two seasons there, wet and dry. The temparature from one to the other is only about five degrees. In effect, they have very little weather, there is little change from one day to the next. For some, besides the 14 cents a gallon gasoline, the warm temperatures of Venezuela make it the place to live.

I like our four equal seasons and the fact within every season there can be big changes in the elements, which is what weather is. A couple of weeks ago we had Winter rain for several days which largely melted our foot of snow on the ground. We have since has several small snowfalls which helped to restore our snow cover.

Last night, the temperature on my back porch reached -40C (the point both scales are the same) .When I went down to the shed at 3:30 AM to check on the animals and put some more wood in the stove.; it was exquisite out: cold, crisp, windless, snow crunching under my feet, a clear sky with a full moon. (With the light from the moon and the pure white snow one needed no artificial light to find one's way.

As the morning broke and I watched throughout the morning, I noticed the changes in the light.

















As the light increased and the temperature began to rise it was blue light and a cloud of ice crystal fog formed over the river, at the back of the field, to the North .
















As the temperature rose the colour became grey and the ice fog began to move across the field toward the house.



















The sky above the fog cleared to contrast the grey with blue.




















In the short time I was in the shed looking in on the animals the fog cleared completely away leaving a bright clear blue sky with the temperature reaching -22C. A spectacular day to be outside enjoying some activity, ice fishing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling. ice skating. I played a little with Gage as he romped and played with his new toy, my left hand glove, now with its thumb chewed out. He seems to want to walk everywhere with it.

Tonight will be another clear and cold night illuminated by the moon. Just before dinner I put the cows in the shed and the temperature was dropping. it had reached -32C and I expect it will reach -40C again. I shall listen for the creaking of the porch lumber as it expands and contracts.




I don't expect to hear the nails in the house pop. That happens at -45C. When one lives alone close to the elements every sound become familiar and talks to you.




With the house warm : the stoves giving good heat, a steamy coffee, my comforter (and dog) and some intelligent radio to listen to, I am set for the night. Good night, all/ Bonne nuit, tous!Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

At 11:13 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I like the four seasons too, but I really wish they were a bit more equal. The way I see it, winter runs for four full months (Dec - March)with perhaps some further overlap on both sides. I just wish it could be a little shorter. I wish it could be all done, finished on March the first.

 
At 11:23 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Phillip, thanks for sharing this. … you wrote this post in a most beautiful way.. I saw the ice fog, I heard and felt the crisp snow beneath my feet... the warmth of the cattle shed came into my mind. Reading this now at 04.30 (can't sleep) is like reading a very good book. I was disappointed when the post ended.
You keep warm and safe my friend and please post again more like this. ;o)

 
At 12:13 a.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

What lovely pictures. I like the 4 seasons too. I just hope we haven't screwed up the climate too much where they will be a thing of the past! (Sorry, just saw a program on tv about global warming.) That fog is really something. I'm glad you caught it on film. Sounds like a nice cozy finish to your day! Enjoy!

 
At 9:41 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

I enjoyed both the photos and the imaging of your post. It's been cold here too, especially with the windchill. I enjoy winter nights when it's cold but no wind. The frost does crunch underneath your feet and the world is calm and peaceful.

Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Mary

 
At 6:37 a.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Beautiful photos. :)

We have four seasons here. We've lived in NC and I could never get use to wearing shorts for Christmas or being on the beach at Easter.

As much as I HATE the cold, I can't imagine living anywhere that didn't have snow.

 
At 8:00 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

Perfect weather! Sounds like you and Gage have a great evening planned

 
At 10:47 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

I had a similar reaction to not relishing the evenness of things when I visited my daughter in Ghana. Ghana is close to the equator, so days are 12 hours long (and of course nights the same). The sun rises around 6 a.m. and sets around 6 p.m. --year round. No variation.
I agree--I like 4 seasons.
However, -40 either C or F sounds VERY cold.

 
At 9:10 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

I just popped in to see if the piglets arrived ! Poor pigmom must be big by now !

 
At 8:08 p.m., Blogger J C said...

Your pictures brought to mind Dr. Zhivago. I've always wanted to visit Russia. Maybe I could just go to your corner of the world!

 
At 8:13 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Wonderful pictures and I could imagine it all as you described it. It's so nice to be inside where it's warm and cozy!!

 
At 11:52 p.m., Blogger Gattina said...

That's over a week you didn't write, I hope everything is OK with you when I think of - 40° !! I just can't believe it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home