DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, December 03, 2007

Winter has Arrived in Earnest


We have been enjoying a two day Winter storm. Here is the governments Winter Storm Warning http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=alerts&region=wwcaon0045&ref=wxeyealerts

I think this is the one which will see the snow begin to accumulate over the Winter. I enjoy the Winter storms, particularly since I do not have to travel anywhere during them. This one came with some deep cold originally, -27C and some wind that caused drifting. The temperature has moderated to a comfortable -12C but their is still some wind to make it feel colder.



This morning there are some lovely drifts around objects like the buildings and the wood pile. I would need a better camera to photograph the artistic shapes of the drifted snow which are always so graceful and sensuous.



Of course, not all is fun! My water pump froze and it took me a day to thaw it out. After it survived -27C I thought it was good. It froze when the temperature was -20C. I think the wind made the difference. You would think I would learn after 27 years of learning to live with the cold.



















A view from the back porch across the side field toward the river and the rock outcroppings beyond.









A view of my yard which I traverse several times a day to tend to the animals and keep the fire going. (Note the smoke) The snow this morning was 18 inches deep in some places.




We are not getting the worst of this storm. As I have written before the weather south and north of here is often much nastier. It creates transportation problems in the urban areas and on the freeways. We seldom have transportation problems here from the snow. I heard the plow rumble by at 5:00AM. We get good service because of the school bus and the logging trucks needing the road. Only once or twice have I ever been snowed in for over a day.




I have been reading about the drought in the United States this past year. I have read people's blogs , over the summer, complaining about it but I never really fathomed the depth of the problem.




If this is a continuing trend big changes will be necessary. The movement of people to the sun belt may decrease. I don't see how growing cities like Las Vegas, Atlanta and Charlotte can continue to allow expansion when water shortage is a chronic problem. Perhaps, industry may return to the north where there is more water security. I am sure industrial states like Michigan, Ohio and New York would welcome the return of their industries. Unfortunately, I suspect the alternative will be the massive transfer of water by pipeline in the future.




Peggy has often commented on my blog how she can't get over how lush and green everything is here. I guess compared to the parched condition of North Carolina it is very striking. Of course, in the Winter everything is wonderfully white. We do have had some moisture problems with a series of Winter droughts. We can thank the beaver for minimizing problems. So far this has not affected local water levels in rivers and wetlands but we do see the great lakes at a low level. There are difficult day ahead of all of us, I fear.




Here is a collection of a series of photographs of the drought across the United States. http://www.drought.unl.edu/gallery/gallery.htm It is interesing to view these photos some are striking, particularly the dried out land and damage to the trees and grasses.
One photo I found shocking. It is in the California section. It shows a suburban street gutter growing algae because of the continuous runoff off from lawn watering. This in the midst of a serious drought in that state. Such thoughtlessness, selfishness and greed is unacceptable.




They are predicting a colder and snowier Winter here this year. (It is off to a good start). If it were in my power I would gladly send some to friends in the thirsty south. i toss you a symbolic snowball.


Today, I just may go out and make an angel in the snow. Winter is here!




Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 10:23 a.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

We're getting a lot of snow today, too. I'll get out with the camera in a bit and take a few photos. :)

 
At 10:16 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

I'm not sure if you have visited my Writing Nook, but I did post photos of our Saturday snowfall. Certainly not 18 inches, but a nice bit for this time of year in southern Ontario.

I agree with you. The weatherman and the Farmer's Almanac are predicting and old fashioned winter. Snow gives the ground moisture and that is something that is badly needed here.

Sorry your pump froze. I suspect the wind made all of the difference. I remember those days when the plumbing froze and Dad and Grandpa had to thaw them, freezing their fingers while doing so.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Enjoyed my visit, as always.

 
At 1:24 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

Wow Philip...
Now this is what I wanted to here about... you live in a wonderland compared to me over here in the UK.. if it gets to -2 we are at a standstill.... Keep safe and stop dropping things on your toes my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home