DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

We Are Moved In

I have been busy trying to make my shed/barn more weathertight for Winter. In the North, housing has to withstand cold temperatures so all leaks have to be patched and insulation has to be installed. The water enters the shed underground into a cabinet heated with a light bulb so it will not freeze.

Usually, cows supply the heat (The rumin the first of four stomachs produces lot of heat. A cow's normal temperature is 103F.) but I only have two so I installed a woodstove to make up the difference.


After trying to decide where I would put my 22 rabbits I ended up installing their cages in the shed with the other animals.

I also have pens for my two pregnant sows that will be delivering little ones in the depth of the Winter.


Here are some of the tenants.

















This is my buck rabbit. He is a nice size and quite handsome.


















Here is three of the young ones. They always appear at the door together when I open it.


















This is Daisy . She is an experienced milk cow and is quite calm and comfortable tied in her cow chains. Lucy the beef cow is that dark spot you see behind. She isn't quite as comfortable in her place yet. The cows will get turned out on nice sunny days and brought in at night.


















Here is Henny Penny my "flock of one". She has been living in a rabbit cage afterI three times tried to introduce her to the hen house with the other birds. They gave her a difficult time and started cannibalizing her. I now have another larger cage for her in the henhouse out of reach of the others.

She thinks I am her mother. She likes to come out of her cage and sit on my hand or shoulder. I would let her free in the shed except for the fact Ruby, my red Duroc pig has acquired a taste for chicken and is quite skilled at grabbing them.

If the shed improvements make it as cosy as I imagine, I look forward to just sitting there with the animals as listening to the radio. Thye are good company: listen to all I say, don't interrupt and never try to change the station on the radio!

Bring on the Winter cold.!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At 4:21 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

A most interesting look at your place and the animals living there.

 
At 8:48 a.m., Blogger Peggy said...

now thats what I call a perfect way to spend a evening. listening to the radio with your 4 legged family. Diva likes music but Nitro tries to ram the radio as he doesn't like it at all

 
At 2:57 p.m., Blogger Mary said...

Philip,

Your animals are lovely. Daisy reminds me of Grandpa's holstein, Betty. She was calm and never gave me any trouble when I was milking her.

Thanks for posting about all of your animals. I'm sure the shed will be quite cozy this winter.

Blessings,
Mary

 
At 3:19 p.m., Blogger Tom said...

When you said about sitting there listening to the music in the shed with all those animals...the first thing I thought of was the smell...

ha! but I suppose they will just have to get used to you... sorry Phillip I couldn't let that chance slip by... please feel free to send me a virtual smack in the mouth..ha!.

I'm sure you will all be cozy in there.

 
At 8:48 a.m., Blogger Gattina said...

Sounds to me out from another world or from the past. When I was little I lived with my grandparents at the countryside and there were many farmers. So I got used to all animals and I am not a city child who thinks that steaks grow on a tree (the little daughter of my friend thought that !) I even got a slap in my face while I tried to milk a cow !

Change your world and come and see the whirling Dervish I filmed in Egypt it is really worthwhile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home