DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

More Rabbits

A few weeks ago, I reported the birth of a litter of rabbits. I now have a second litter.

The first litter all died. It is a sad and painful tale which I try not to think about for I might become angry.

I left for the family reunion for two days and left the litter in the care of my friend June. I left her with a healthy bunch of 9 little ones about the same as the one's below. When I phoned in two days there were only three left. I am not sure what happened but there was distress in the bunny cage. A couple died then. Instead of relieving the problem. June thought she could care for the bunnies better than their mother. She removed them and tried to hand feed them. By the next day there were three left and one of those was not doing well. Then there were two. It took June three weeks to "love them to death".

It is very difficult to intervene in the raising of young animals. It takes skill and knowledge and just plain luck. Removing young from their mother should be the absolute last thing.

Unfortunately, I think June doesn't fully understand her capabilities. And, I think she was doing what she did at least in part to satisfy a need in herself as well as a perceived need for the rabbits.

It has been a sad lesson. I feel badly for June as she thought she could accomplish something. On the other hand, I am mad as hell, at both myself and her.

But life goes one.

click on pictures to enlarge


















Here is my new litter of bunnies. I think there are nine. None have died. All are doing well at 6 days old in the care of their mother. They are nearly all black or gray with one, which I think is light brown with some white on it. In a couple of weeks they will be up and about so I will know for sure. To take this picture I lifted the lid off the nesting box attached to the rabbit cage. I have not told June yet about this litter, yet!



















This is the doe peeking it to see what raised the roof on her nesting box nursery.


















Meanwhile, out in the yard the two pigs are enjoying a little feed. Ruby is the red duroc sow and Babe is the last of her litter of ten. ( Note the single strand of electric fencing which keeps them in the farm yard)

Babe is supposed to be June's pet pig. She has not spent enough time with it to really tame it. It is really at the age and size to be slaughtered for human consumption. Hummm! What would June say!!!
Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

At 12:35 p.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope this litter does much better.

 
At 4:34 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I think June needs a book on raising rabbits. I feel your anger though.I would wait on telling her about the babies for a week or so. June sounds like a very mothering type person. I can taste the ham and bacon from that pig! LOL

 
At 1:29 p.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

Sorry to hear about your baby bunnies. It's sad when something like that happens and I can understand your anger as well.

Hugs,
Laurie

 
At 1:52 p.m., Blogger Bob said...

I'm sorry to hear about your rabbits, you are right about mother knowing best. Bob.

 
At 2:27 p.m., Blogger Gretchen said...

Sorry to hear about your litter. :(

Hopefully, this new one will all do well.

 
At 4:16 p.m., Blogger Rachel said...

Too bad about the babies. I would no doubt have the same instinct that June had, but I know their Mother knows best what to do.
I hope this litter does well. They are so cute and tiny!

 
At 9:43 p.m., Blogger Sam said...

What I think you need to do is get her a new game and maybe she won't even notice the new batch for months. ;)

 
At 7:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nowadays most people are showing interest in growing pets in their houses such as hamsters,rabbits and cats etc. Here I observed the lifestyle of the rabbits. Thanks for sharing the information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home