DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Hot Days of Summer


After a cool and damp July we are into the hot days of summer finally. Since mid June the weather has frustrated efforts to do haying. The farm community is now madly trying to get it done. Our season is short and hay has already passed it prime. Further delay will see the nutritional value drop off. On the other hand, with the damp cool early summer the hay has grown thick and tall.





















Here are some bales on the headland of the field next to the house.













My neighbour is doing my hay this year. I miss not doing it myself but glad I am not out in the dust and heat. Here he is discharging another 75o-1000 pound bale.











Acorss the river on the cattle pasture I tried to take a pictures of some sandhill cranes. The pair on the right are the adults and the pair on the left are immature young. Without a better camera, or being able to get closer, this is the best I can do for a picture. These birds showed up about 15 years ago. They are normally more western birds that traditionally migrate the central flyway. They are quite dramatic being large and noisy. They have thrived in good number in our area adding another interesting scene to our natural environment.




















Here is where I like to be in the heat of the day. Drifting about in the river. I have mastered the art of floating on my back motionless. On occasion, I have even fallen asleep doing this. Come on in the water is lovely!
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 5:46 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

wish you could send some of that hay this way! Its hard to find because of the drought around here. When do you find the time to float down the river? you always have something going on to keep you busy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home