DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

True North "Stoned" and Free


It appears Canada leads other industrialized nations in marijuana use. Another first for our most civilized country. We seem to function fine with it or is it that we function fine because of it. One of those chicken and egg problems.

globeandmail.com: The true North, stoned and free




















This is marijuana growing hydroponically under a 1000 Watt grow light. Unusual colour don't you think.



















This is a young healthy pot plant.


















Here are marijuana bud drying. "Far out. Man!"


Before I get myself into trouble here, the disclaimer. I do not smoke marijuana, cigarettes, or drink alcohol. Coffee is my addiction. I tried it once in the '60 while vacationing on Prince Edward Island. After about three puffs sitting in a circle "navel gazing" expecting a religious experience, I broke the mood by saying "this is nuts I don't feel anything and I don't even smoke so why would I want to fill my lungs with this stuff." ( I never was one for going along with the crowd) . I left the joint sharing to my wife and our friends. My minister friend grew the stuff in the basement of his church in Boston and has continued to this day in the parishes he has served.

I do defend people's right to use marijuana. Compared to tobacco and alcohol it is relatively harmless. In terms of personal and social cost alcohol out strips all other drugs combined.. Tobacco is just evil with no social, medicinal or nutritional value.

Jack Herer - Comparison



I also support the increased growing of industrial hemp, related to but not marijuana. It is a miracle crop with wide uses, grows like a weed, needs no pesticides and can replace forests in papermaking and could replace corn in biofuel production. Anyone who cares to read about this crop that was once grow on all farms for its practical uses, (ie rope and fabric making) will learn that a industrial conspiracy saw it banned my associating it with the devil weed, marijuana. (Canada is slow to get hemp into production and the US still bans it)

Marijuana Conspiracy - by Dough Yurchey

Welcome to Jack Herer's Home on the Web



Around here marijuana growing is a cottage industry. Users grow their own and share it with friends. Canada apparently is a big exporter of marijuana to the US. In exchange the US sends US guns and cocaine. We send them "peace and love" and they send us "violence and hard core addiction". This illegal free trade does more harm to Canada unfortunately.

In the UN study I am surprised Canada uses more than the Netherlands another country laid back about marijuana use. it is still one of the best sources for marijuana seed for growers. And we use more than Jamaica that country we see and big "ganga" users.


I am surprise that marijuana use in the US is so high in the face if their draconian laws. So much for the "war on drugs", that other failed war effort. American article on this UN Report sing the praises of signs of decreased world wide drug use. . . hummm I wonder if they get their views from the War on Drugs Czar.
McClatchy Washington Bureau 07/05/2007 Experts: Global drug abuse largely

Canada has come close to decriminalizing marijuana use. When the next Liberal government comes to power I suspect they will fullfil their promise. In the meantime, mere possession is ignored and growing for distribution gets you a mild penalty. The police still try to shut down large grow operations by organized crime. It makes them look good and vigilant but doesn't decrease the availability of the "weed". There are too many home growers.

It is curious that Canadians use so much marijuana. It has been suggested that because of it we are less ambitious and aggressive than our American cousins. This is another one of those chicken and egg problems. Maybe the truth is because we are less ambitious and aggressive than Americas we take time to puff the weed for a little pleasure now and again. Eh, share a joint, smell the roses."

The UN study on drug use around the world is interesting reading.

http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/world_drug_report.html



Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 8:43 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Some recent news said that mj arrests had gone up in the past year. Once the proposed law was shelved, cops began to enforce the old one again.

I once heard an "expert" (on CBC radio) proclaim that if mj had been legal and booze had not been, there would be no way that we would now contemplate legalizing booze. I guess it was a comment on the relative harm of the two. But like you, I really wouldn't know from personal experience.

 
At 10:21 a.m., Blogger Navigator said...

You know, you should be cautious about some of this stuff you are putting out on the Interent. You fit the profile a grower -- a couple of hundred isolated acres in the bush, a loner, a leftie, a boomer, an advocate of decriminalization. You are going to attract the attention of the RCMP who will proceed to tap your telephone, read all your mail and your e-mails, buzz your farm with their aerial snooper, and sit on the side roads watching you through binoculars. You may find the next time you cross the border into the U.S. that they have been tipped off about you by the Mounties (e.g., Mr. Maher). We wouldn't want you to end up being tortured in Syria now, would we.

If I were going to be stalked and watched, I can think of more agreeable people than the RCMP. Salma Hyek comes to mind.

I doubt you have many Jamaicans living next door to you, as I do. But much of the Mary Jane traffic is conducted by Jamaican posses, who are also the ones responsible for importing drugs and guns from the U.S.

 
At 10:47 a.m., Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Navigator

I am not sure I would like to go to Syria but a vacation in Afghanistan would interest me.

Re: your check list.

I heard the police were asking about me around town.

My place is overflown at ganga harvest time

There was a time in my life (in US) when my phone was wiretapped by the police. (illegally of course). That got me a legal win and some money.

Crossing the border does worry me but I managed it once last year.

I figure the more the police waste their time with me, the less they harass my pot growing neigbours.

Besides. whenever the police come to my door (they were here a lot when i had foster children) it gives me a chance to rant about them carrying guns and insisting they cannot come into my house unless they leave them outside. We spent a lot of time standing on the porch out in the cold.

Asian gangs grow large plot of MJ around here. Asian! you would think they would figure out that they stick out in small town white Ontario!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home