DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Living With the Animals
























The Noble Grey Wolf

Wolf Trust - About Wolves

Last evening, late, I heard shooting outside. At first I heard two shots, then a third, then two more. With that I heard two more outbursed. There were probably a dozen in all.
My dog had been barking earlier but with the shooting he came in the house rather than stay on the verandah, as I went out to hear the ivestigate and hear the last few shot.

I am not a hunter and I do not own a gun. This makes me an oddity around here. Virtually, everyone owns at least one long gun, usually more. Huntering for grouse and moose in season is part of the rural culture. (Hand guns are illegal although I have been shown a couple of them.) In the country and around farms a gun is viewed as a tool not a sign of machismo. I don't think I have ever seen anyone swagger or brag about a gun. But still I see no use to own one myself. The few times I have had to put down an animal I call a local skilled hunter or trapper and have him do it. So much for the editorial!

I phoned my neighbour to ask him what all the shooting was about. When he called me back he told me he had a pack of wolves (about a dozen) in his back yard. He said he shot two at least including what he thought was the alpha male. I told him I hoped he wasn't too scared but I didn't think one could legally kill a wolf. he said he didn't care, for in his life foxes, coyotes, and wolves had killed some of his livestock. He seemed to hold to that old fashioned idea that "wolves are vermin". I wasn't going to debate it with him. I disagree and don't approve of killing wolves.

We have been aware of the local pack of wolves. Occasionally, a single one or two is spotted and they howl at night. Why a dozen showed up in his yard is a mystery to me unless they were following his path from the back field to go to the river.

My neighbour has no animals and he wasn't personally in danger. In Ontario, there has never been a case of a healthy wild wolf killing a person. Are wolves dangerous to people?? Wolves are extremely shy. I wish they had been in my yard for it would have been a wonderful opportunity to observe them. Maybe not, I do have livestock. They may have decided to make a meal of "Babe" June's pet pig. I would rather face the wolf that incure her wrath.

So now we have a damaged pack of wolves with two of it members missing, including, perhaps. the leader of the pack. There may also be injured wolves out there. Not a pleasant thought.

I am not sure if anything will come of this. The wild life officer may be around. Killing a wolf may be a offense. Also discharging a firearm at night may also be a violation of the regulations.

In the country, you " go along to get along". Neighbours are few and you need each other occasionally. Other that letting my neighbour know I don't approve of killing wolves, I have no desire to make a fuss over this.























Here is a less feared critter around the place. This one of the two kittens is trying to win a permanent place in the house. It is being dreadfully cute and purring up whenever it sees an opportunity. Yesterday it slept against the top of my head while I napped on the chesterfield.
How cute is that!



June has adoped this baby bunny. She has some silly name for it. I keep calling it "Thanksgiving Dinner" which puts her on the defensive. I don't think it will ever go back in the shed with the other rabbits. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 10:14 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Old attitudes die hard. Unfortunately.

 
At 7:02 p.m., Blogger dmmgmfm said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that something is done about it.

The kitten and bunny are adorable. I hope they both are allowed to stay in the house.

Hugs,
Laurie

 
At 9:12 p.m., Blogger KGMom said...

Oh no--I came here by way of Anvilcloud. I am sickened to read of your neighbor shooting wolves.
Years ago I read a book (with my young son) called Julie of the Wolves. Wonderful book--but hunters in the book shoot wolves. I bawled my eyes out; my son--to whom I was reading--was most puzzled.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home