DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Feel Badly for George Bush

There is little sympathize about with George Bush. I do feel sorry for his inability to master the Queen's English and public speaking. It seems he cannot make a public speech without making a malapropism, use an incorrect word, a major grammatical error or even loose his train of thought.
Even with speech writers, who should be skillful wordsmiths he bumbles along. I don't think he can follow a written text very well and tries to adlib, which makes it worse.

MY God! he mangled his thought in front of the Queen! With a little hunour and the Queen's gracious forebearance he recovered. I am sure the Queen has seen it all but I think she would be sympathetic. Her father, King George, who did not intend to be King, suffered from a stutter. With great effort he largely overcame it for public speaking.

George Bush must have a significant learning difficulty. I assume he has made some effort to overcome it. His handlers must have a fit every time he stumbles in a public speech.

Here are some examples of his gaffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa3J-L29iT8



I am sympathetic for I was not a fluid reader and easy public speaker when I went off to seminary. I spent a lot of time alone practicing reading out loud and training my eyes to follow the text with understanding . Before giving a sermon or public speech I practiced several times. I even had my own system of marking the speech into segments so when I read it it made sense and had the correct inflection of voice. This was hard work but I think in the end I mastered the craft. I wonder if George made the effort.

It is hard to believe he is a graduate of two of the leading US Universities, Yale and Harvard. In fact, it is hard to imagine he was even accepted as a student there. Family connections obviously count. I have taken courses at both Yale and Harvard and I aways found the students to be very bright. Poor George, he must be smarter than he sounds but he must be an embarassment to these august Universities. I look forward to the day when the US has a President who can deliver a powerful and moving speech.

3 Comments:

At 11:45 a.m., Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can't even laugh at that video; it's too painful.

 
At 11:57 a.m., Blogger J C said...

I don't feel badly for him at all. You are right, he doesn't learn, not only from speeches, but from mistakes concerning war. I think of him as a pompous a double s, who prolly got thru university because of family money. I am sad that he is the one Americans were fooled into voting for....twice!!! Any thoughts yet about his upcoming replacement? I would be interested in your views on that subject.

Isn't the Queen an absolutely beautiful woman?

 
At 1:29 p.m., Blogger Peggy said...

I was so embarrassed by his blunders. Couldn't believe one of them had the Queen being over 200 years old! Sweet lady handled it wonderfully. Want to trade the queen for Bush? Will throw in Cheney for free! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home