DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Tossing Pebbles in the Stream .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream

This blog is my place to sit and toss pebbles into the stream. The stream of Life relentlessly passing before us. We can affect it little. For the most part I just watch it passing and follow the flow. Occasionally, I need to comment on its passing, tossing a pebble at it to enjoy the ripple affect upon Life's surface.

Monday, April 23, 2007

She Makes Us All Proud





This young woman is my niece, Andrea, who is about to graduate from the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, magna cum laude, in psychology.

I got a prideful email from my brother, who loves to sing the praises of his three lovely daughters who have excelled in school. Laura, the eldest is now a lawyer, Heather, the middle child who missed out on the red hair, is in graduate school to become a clinical psychologist and now Andrea, who aspire to teach in University.

Well, we are all very proud of them. I don't think I tell them or my brother that often enough. (It is a sibling rivalry thing, I think. Perhaps, Heather can figure me out when she finishes her training).

My mother, in particular, would have been exceedingly proud of Richard's girls, as she was of the rest of us who have done well in school. She believed in "salvation through education". While I relish my education, I have yet to feel "saved" Mom! There is something incomplete yet.

Andrea has just been granted a full scholarship and a paid assistantship to attend the venerable College of William and Mary to study cognitive psychology. I have no doubt she will do herself proud there also.

I have not see my nieces since they were preteens, although I have corresponded with them over the years. Andrea was always the funny and playful one. She occasionally spoke to me on the phone in some heavy North Carolinian accent to have me figure out what she was saying. She is also the athlete in the family. She has been on the University swim team for her four years at UNC, Wilmington. Heather, the middle child, has always been the sensitive one to me wanting to know how I am. And, Laura, the eldest, suffers from that family position by feeling so very responsible for everyone.

At the end of June, I will see if my impression of the girls is correct as we will all be attending a family reunion in Toronto, at my sister's place. I look forward to some lively conversation with all three of the girls.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 a.m., Blogger J C said...

Wow, very impressive, your niece. Congrats to her. UNC has good schools, she got a good start. I know you are proud! Happy post Earth Day to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home